Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is drama speech unrealistic? 2018/2/18 16:40
Hello,
I sometimes like to copy the structure of the sentences in Japanese dramas. I'm watching a drama called Lost Days(I know it's old but is good). A girl said something when she was explaining something happened to her and I found it fine to just repeat the sentences not like memorize them. Is that bad? I heard somewhere that dramas conversations are unrealistic!
Btw, I recommend this drama to N3-N2 learners, I'm at that level and I feel that I can understand 95% of the drama (without using subtitles of course).
Thank you a lot in advance
by Pizza (guest)  

Re: Is drama speech unrealistic( 2018/2/18 18:34
To make it clear, I mean by copying, repeating the sentences and paying attention to how the sentences are built(made). Especially if it was a grammar point that I was struggling with or I want to be able to use.
by Pizza (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is drama speech unrealistic? 2018/2/18 21:01
Well, that's like asking if English drama speech is unrealistic. Some are realistic while other lines are too dramatic or artificial.

My English speaking ability improved greatly by memorizing my favorite American TV show reruns ("Gilligan's Island"). But Miles Davis once said that American women (or was it "American white women"?) talk like movies. He explained that they talk like how a character would talk in a movie, but not very realistic. I guess you have to keep paying attention to real life.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is drama speech unrealistic? 2018/2/19 00:55
That drama was a very low rating, placed second fr the bottom of about 15 titles.
No particular funny expression as Japanese, however, many hysterical emotional expressions used,
so I do not know if it fits yr friends' liking and level(skill) of Japanese.
by Re:Creators (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is drama speech unrealistic( 2018/2/19 00:59
Oooh! I got what you mean!
That was silly from me not to understand what unrealistic meant!!!
Thank you, really thank you!!!

Re: Is drama speech unrealistic? 2018/2/19 05:15
Watching TV is a great learning process (especially in hearing and comprehension) of a foreign language. But copying lines word-for-word may not be what you want to do in your daily life, as you then emulate the personality of that character. If your personality and the situation you are in match exactly that of the drama, then I suppose there is nothing wrong with copying a line. But for the most part, learn it for reference.
by ANK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is drama speech unrealistic( 2018/2/19 19:37
Yeah, you're right!!
Thank you for commenting!

reply to this thread