Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/19 18:50
Hi
As I will travel a long way (3 hrs) domestic flight with ANA or JAL I was thinking if they sell any onboard food or so during the flight. I know they offer complimentary drinks but food I am not sure about.

Or should I better bring a bento from any gate shop before boarding?
by Food (guest)  

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/19 19:16
Have you tried checking the airlines' websites? They are full service airlines, so I would assume they serve food, but you should be able to check with them direct.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/19 20:07
As the poster said, it's indicated on their official website. Generally speaking, flights that are short only serve drinks which includes soup in their options.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/19 20:29
I already looked through the pages. I suppose 5-6+ hour intl flights offer food but maybe 3 hour flight does not?

I guess it is fine to bring on a bento from the airport (past securiy)?
by Food (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/19 20:36
I guess it is fine to bring on a bento from the airport (past securiy)?

Only if it does't contain too much liquid. Food is also usually sold past security. Which airport are you boarding from? But in fact, short flights are so short that it's better to just have the attendant bring you soup rather than to sort out your bento trash and carry it around. Eating between security and gate is also a great way to kill time.

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/20 07:47
JAL does not offer food on domestic flights except in first class and for paid ice cream on flights to Okinawa.

ANA offers a very limited array of paid snacks in economy and a free meal in premium class.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/20 08:49
I might guess it is due to time limitation selling food to so many passengers. I'll try to plan in a bento time for departure.

Thank you very much for your information. Is this mentioned perhaps in the Japanese versions of ANA or JAL pages?

I don't recall reading anything about it.

But there is no issues in bringing a bento box onboard (in case of hurry)? I know it is frowned upon eating bento on local trains and so, maybe not the same on a plane.

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/20 10:58
All airports sell food before and after the security check. The smaller the airport, the poorer the selection after security check. They usually emphasize souvenirs over fresh food. As for liquids, they are not a problem in case of domestic flights. You can even bring drinks through security. Opened PET bottles are subject to a quick check. Closed PET bottles are even less of an issue.

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/20 14:50
As for liquids, they are not a problem in case of domestic flights.

I suppose Uji is correct. Sorry about my mis-info. Airline/airport regulations are so confusing.

Is this mentioned perhaps in the Japanese versions of ANA or JAL pages?

Equally confusing is the rest of the information. I always get lost even when searching in Japanese. From the top of the ANA English site:
https://www.ana.co.jp/asw/index.jsp?type=e

Click "Domestic", then "Service & Info", then "In-flight Service by Class" or "Paid services". For example, after "In-flight Service by Class" you can click "Details" on Premium Class, then "Onboard Experience", then "Dining/Drink" which will get you to the following page:
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/serviceinfo/domestic/inflight/guide/premiu...

From JAL:
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/

Click "Domestic", scroll way down and click "Inflight / lounge", then for example "First Class" and then "Meals and beverage".

But there is no issues in bringing a bento box onboard (in case of hurry)? I know it is frowned upon eating bento on local trains and so, maybe not the same on a plane.

It's perfectly alright to bring bento on-board your flights. You can also ask the attendants to throw away your small box so that it won't get in the way in case of emergencies. By the way, eating bento on short-distance commuter trains isn't appreciated, but it is common on trains that travel longer distances and have little tables at your seats.

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/20 19:13
@Uji
You can bring pet bottles through security? Even over 100 ml? I did not know. I have brought empty bottles a few times as I didn't want to throw away but that was not in Japan.

I suppose Haneda airport is big enough for food after security. Or maybe I should enjoy the food souvenirs, haha.

Well even a sandwich would do for me as long as I don't go hungry for several hours.

I have a transfer from a intl flight so my priority is to get to the gate. I suppose 5 hours transfer is enough?

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/20 19:52
Yes, no problem with liquids through security for INTERNAL flights. They might ask you to open a bottle and they might sniff at it, but thatfs it.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JAL/ANA onboard food 2018/2/21 04:31
There is a special apparatus that allows security to check opened PET bottles. The check takes about a second.

Yes, Haneda has the largest variety of foods available beyond security of any Japanese airport, both in the form of restaurants and shops. The variety at the shops is still not amazing, but there are some sandwiches and bento boxes available.

reply to this thread