Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel in japan 2018/2/20 20:15
Dear All.

Me and and my wife have finally booked our trip to japan from 17th of September to 1st Of October. I would love any help with what to do and what to see. here are what we have planned for now and some of the questions we have

4 days in Tokyo. As I am big fun of Sumo and September is emperors cup in Tokyo - do you know what would be best way to get tickets ?

2 days in kanazawa. we got voucher for our wedding and we can use it in one of the hotels in kanazawa. is it worth stay here for 2 days and what else we can see around here

3 days in Kyoto - are there any quick trips from kyoto ? also is it worth staying in osaka or going back to Kyoto. not sure about Nara as well

1 Day in Hiroshima - we always wanted to go here.

1 day in Hakone - on our way back to Tokyo we would love to stop in hakone. how hard is this and how long would it take.

probably would spend last 2 days in Tokyo. any other suggestions on this route are really welcome.(I am big fun of Japanese marshal arts and anything relating to that or way of samurai would be super exiting as well)

Many thanks
Erekle
by erekle (guest)  

Re: Travel in japan 2018/2/21 05:13
Overall, I think it is a good itinerary. Personally, I would spend more days in Kyoto+Nara. I suggest you reduce the number of days in Tokyo in order to do that.

by miyako (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in japan 2018/2/21 05:21
4 days in Tokyo. As I am big fun of Sumo and September is emperors cup in Tokyo - do you know what would be best way to get tickets ?
You can buy them online. It seems that currently the page is down: http://sorry.pia.jp/nt2/sumo/maintenance.html
Try searching for pia and sumo.
Here the schedule: http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnTicket/year_schedule
Buy them on the first day they become available, and better be flexible in the day you want to go.

2 days in kanazawa. we got voucher for our wedding and we can use it in one of the hotels in kanazawa. is it worth stay here for 2 days and what else we can see around here
I spent I think 4 nights in Kanazawa. In my eyes there is enough to see in the city for two days. The other two days we rented a car, and one day we went to Shirakawago and Ainokura and the other out to Noto peninsula.

3 days in Kyoto - are there any quick trips from kyoto ? also is it worth staying in osaka or going back to Kyoto. not sure about Nara as well
For most people 3 days is the absolute minimum for sightseeing in Kyoto. Yes, there are side trips from Kyoto, e.g. Uji, Nara (I would need 2 days alone in Nara, even more), Hikone, Himeiji... But if this is your first trip just concentrate on Kyoto. I am personally not a fan of Osaka and as you are staying quite long in Tokyo I think you get your mega-city experience there. However Kyoto and Osaka are very close to each other, so you don`t need to decide now. You can decide once in Kyoto.

1 day in Hakone - on our way back to Tokyo we would love to stop in hakone. how hard is this and how long would it take.
It is not specially hard. You just need to come by Shinkansen from Kyoto and get off in Odawara (not all Shinkansen stop there, but the slower ones do). Then take a train to Hakone Yumoto and off to your hotel. Book an onsen hotel, that`s what the area is famous for. It is also famous for the round trip over its vulcan and lake. The guide page on this web page explains this. However the vulcan is still partially closed, which is a pity.
How long it takes, you can find out using Google maps or similar apps. But if you spend a night there you should have enough time to explore the area a bit.

probably would spend last 2 days in Tokyo. any other suggestions on this route are really welcome.I am big fun of Japanese marshal arts and anything relating to that or way of samurai would be super exiting as well)
I remember a fun ninja temple in Kanazawa.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in japan 2018/2/21 13:51
It would be very easy to spend two days in Kanazawa - it's a lovely city. Look up the Kaikaro teahouse (they have an English website) - they run public geisha shows a couple of times a year, so perhaps they are holding performances when you plan to visit.

I'd suggest adding an extra day to Hiroshima, so you can also visit Miyajima.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel in japan 2018/2/21 22:27
Hi guys
Many thanks for replying. Amazing staff here. Really excited about trip
Erekle
by Erekle rate this post as useful

reply to this thread