Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Road from Matsumoto to Takayama open March? 2018/2/22 21:59
Just wondering if the beautiful mountain road from Matsumoto to Takayama would be open at the end of March? And if so, would we need snow tyres?
Many thanks.
by KEAMTASOSSS  

Re: Road from Matsumoto to Takayama open March? 2018/2/23 08:59
Just wondering if the beautiful mountain road from Matsumoto to Takayama would be open at the end of March?

Yes, it is open around the year.

And if so, would we need snow tyres?

I recommend so. I encountered some snow on the road around Hirayu even in early April.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Road from Matsumoto to Takayama open March? 2018/2/23 13:54
Thanks so much for your reply.
Would it be a pretty drive at that time of year?
Is the mountain region, just trying to think of the name starts with K, accessible? Perhaps worth a nights stop? (And a little hike).
Thanks
by KEAMTASOSSS rate this post as useful

Re: Road from Matsumoto to Takayama open March? 2018/2/23 16:25
Would it be a pretty drive at that time of year?

The snow is mostly gone, but the greenery has not arrived yet (in the higher areas). Also, it is not the easiest road to drive. The driver will have to be very concentrated and won't be able to enjoy the scenery too much. But the surrounding mountains are quite nice, indeed.

Is the mountain region, just trying to think of the name starts with K, accessible?

Kamikochi opens on April 17, 2018:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6040.html

Perhaps worth a nights stop? (And a little hike).

It usually still feels a little wintery at that time, but I think it could be very nice.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Road from Matsumoto to Takayama open March? 2018/2/23 23:50
What about at the other end of the season - early December - would it require snow tires?
by TravelingGal (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread