Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My Japan itinerary 2018/2/23 20:29
Hi
I will be in Japan from 2nd to 13th April 2018. I have bought the 7day JR Pass and while in Japan Osaka then Tokyo will be my base. I have made below itinerary and would like your advise to make it even more do-able and enjoyable
Day 1 AM arrived Kansai Airport and spend the rest of the day in Osaka
Day 2 OSAKA - I am still considering whether or not to buy Osaka Amazing Pass
Day 3 Hiroshima and Miyajima . I will activate my JR Pass today
Day 4 KYOTO Arashiyama, Tenryuji,Bridge, Adashino Temple, PreserveTown, Sagano Scenic
PM OSAKA
Day 5 KYOTO Fushimi Inari, Ginkakuji, Nanzenji, Gion and Nishiki Market(if time and energy allowed)
Day 6 NARA
Day 7 KOBE Ropeway, Nunobiki Herb Garden, then down to Chinatown Nankinmachi
Day 8 AM Head to TOKYO and spend the rest of the day in Tokyo
Day 9 HAKONE 1 day trip ( last day of my JR Pass , will buy Hakone Pass at Odawara )
Day 10 KAMAKURA
Day 11 TOKYO will need some advise what will be nice to do in my last day, maybe where to find
beautiful kokeshi dolls, what Japanese sweet to bring home
Day 12 Mid day fly back home from Narita
Thank you

by Margaret (guest)  

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/24 10:10
Day 3 will be quite rushed. Hiroshima and Miyajima together in one day is possible, but you won't be able to spend a lot of time in each, and you won't have time to go up Mt. Misen. With only 12 days in Japan, I would skip Hiroshima and add an extra day to Kyoto or Tokyo.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/24 16:07
If I drop Hiroshima and Miyajima, I have one day extra in Osaka or Kyoto, not possible for Tokyo as my hotel were booked (I guessed I can make it shorter in Osaka, but not sure to check in one day earlier in Tokyo as it is end of Feb already)
Any advise where to go instead of Hiroshima/Miyajima, either in Osaka/Kyoto. My base is Osaka for that period
What can be interesting to do in Tokyo ? I am not keen for luxurious shopping , I don't mind visiting traditional markets and have chances to tastes Japanese food other than seafood or traditional souvenier
by Margaret (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/24 16:59
If you make an early start then your Hiroshima day will be rushed but just do-able if you have a hotel in Hiroshima or don't mind getting to Kyoto late. You wouldnt have much time in any one place but could get to the top of Mt Misen by cable car. I would suggest the A bomb museum & then on to Miyajima to clear your head. I always stop for a steamed eel bun at ‹Ñ–{•Ü http://www.miyajimaman.com/index.html
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/24 17:17
Spend time in Higashiyama in Kyoto. This website has some full- and half-day itineraries for Kyoto under "Plan a Trip" above that can give you some ideas (I like the Eastern Kyoto one).

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/24 19:09
Thank you all for your valuable contribution
While I have Higashiyama in my original plan I have to drop it because it is quite hilly if I am not mistaken (unfortunately my husband has back issue), so I will stick to Hiroshima /Miyajima ,already planned to start early on this day to be able to see the floating Torii from Itsukushima shrine ( have checked Miyajima high tide table for that day ), 5 storied pagoda and go as far as Daisho-in temple, I was not plan to take the cable car up to Mt Misen ( will ride a cable car at Kobe ropeway instead ). I will definitely wander around the main street and taste some grilled oyster, momiji manju and now the eel steamed bun was added to the list. And the head to Hiroshima Memorial Park. And hopefully from the tram on the way back to the station I will get a glimpse of Hiroshima city
I hope this make sense and works well

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/24 19:15
It will be a long day, and won't leave you a lot of time in Hiroshima. It will also be a lot of walking/moving around, so consider that for your husband's back.

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/25 16:27
Noted, thanks. We will adjust somewhere along the way where it does not fit us
Thank you for your helpful advise

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/25 17:18
Then I would get the 1 day streetcar pass for 600 Yen and use the trams to cut down on the walking. Link off this page http://www.hiroden.co.jp/en/ The JR Pass covers the ferry.

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/26 00:13
Just wondering if you would consider visiting Miyajima when the tide is low as being able to walk right up to the torii gate would definitely be a highlight as compared to seeing it 'floating'.
by nww rate this post as useful

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/26 00:30
Day 9 HAKONE 1 day trip ( last day of my JR Pass , will buy Hakone Pass at Odawara )
Day 10 KAMAKURA
Day 11 TOKYO
----Day 9 to 11:Hakone kamakura pass 3 Day=6500‰~,allows for unlimited use of the entire Odakyu railway network, So your Base is still Tokyo,But in the morning you will go Hakone area by Odakyu railway and explore by bus,non jr and Boat unlimited time For 3 Days.
by paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/26 07:00
@nww I will arrive before the high tide, does it mean that I can still walk down closer to the torii?
I read that there are 6 it 7 hours between low and high tide?
Wow Ifm getting more exited😀

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/26 07:52
You can look at the tide charts:
http://gethiroshima.com/museums-attractions/miyajima-tide-times/

Putting your hand on the massive vermillion wooden structure is quite powerful.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/26 09:11
there is about 11 hours between max high and max low tide. Just like the rest of the globe. You can walk out to the tori gate a few hours each side of max low tide.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/26 17:49
My plan is to be at Miyajima around 9.50am The high tide for that day is 11.46
I don't think I still got a chance to put my hand around the torii wooden stucture

Thanks everybody

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/26 20:51
I have been at both high & low tide more than once & I think it looks much better at High tide :)

Re: My Japan itinerary 2018/2/27 00:44
You asked what is interesting to do in Tokyo. If you like baseball, see if one of the teams is at home. If you like gardens, Tokyo has some very interesting ones, large and small. If it's raining and you like museums, try the National Museum of Nature and Science or the Edo Museum (history of Tokyo). If you like temples, Zojo-ji is very atmospheric and not a long walk from the World Trade Center which has an Observatory on the top floor where you can see all the way to Mt. Fuji if the humidity is low and clouds are few.
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread