Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo/Nikko/Takayama/Tsumago/Nagoya? By Car? 2018/2/26 04:01
Hello I would like to do the romantic road and the kiso valley by car from Tokyo to Nagoya.
With my wife and my 2 years old baby in May!

Right now here is my trip:

https://imgur.com/a/8TlK8

Take the car in Tokyo then:

Nikko (2 nights visit temples and lake)

Visit with roadtrip Kusatsu & Numata romantic road from Nikko????

Karuizawa (1 night Karuizawa just for sleep)

visit with roadtrip Matsumoto castle

Takayama (2 nights visit this city and villages Shirakawa)

visit Narai

Mogome (1 night visit tomogo)

go to Nagoya give back the car.

I would like to know if this roadtrip is realistic and good? Do I mean something important? Do I go too fast? I can drive 4 or 5 hours a day without a problem, on the longer road we will take the road early to take our time on the road and stop here and there.

Any recommendation? I feel like this is the part of my trip where I need to do the most research, so you are welcome for any feedback, don't forget I want to take my time I've 1 month in Japan total and I'm travelling with a baby!

I'm particularly concern about Nikko to Karuizawa by Kusatsu & Numata is it easy to do? It might be too long, maybe I can add a night somewhere and take a bit more time to explore north? Or it's good enough?

Anyway all feedback welcome!

by Emme (guest)  

Re: Tokyo/Nikko/Takayama/Tsumago/Nagoya? By Car? 2018/2/26 09:00
I don't see the point in a car since all locations have good transport options, plus below reasons.

If you have a car plus a 2yo, you need a baby seat. Either buying on in the country or flying it in with your luggage. either way is a problem you dont wanna deal with if one didn't have to. The good thing about a 2yo is that they are manageable. Sitting on lap etc while on a train.

If you have a 7yo, and didn't need a baby seat and then you would need a third rail pass etc due to age, I'd entertain the idea of a car.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Nikko/Takayama/Tsumago/Nagoya? By Car? 2018/2/26 13:37
Baby seat are offered in option in any rental car agency.
by M (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread