Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which of these ropeways is the best? 2018/3/3 00:39
Hello!

We have never ridden on a ropeway before and since Japan has quite a few of them we thought it might be a good idea to do so.

We will be visiting these places that I know have ropeways. Which do you recommend the most?

1. Kobe

2. Himeji

3. Fuji Five Lakes

4. Miyajama

We will also be in Kyoto and Tokyo but I have not really read about any ropeways directly within the two cities.

Thank you!
by karenmf28  

Re: Which of these ropeways is the best? 2018/3/3 08:35
best in what way?

ropeways get you from A to B normally over valleys or up steep hills. you might get a view while going up. but normally you don't ride the ropeway for the view. things like glass and crowds ruin the view.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Which of these ropeways is the best? 2018/3/3 08:41
Miyajima is my favorite among them. Nice views and an even better destination, Mount Misen.

Kobe ranks second, especially the one that departs from Shin-Kobe Station because of the spectacular cityscape. I also like the Rokko-Arima Ropeway for its nice views over the forests of Mount Rokko.

The Mt. Tenjo Ropeway in the Fuji Five Lakes region is not among my favorites. It feels small and touristy, and there are many other places with nice views of Mount Fuji.

It is still better than the Shoshasan Ropeway which by itself is nothing but a means of transport. In itself it is not interesting. However, the destination it serves, Mount Shoshasan, is very nice.

As a side note, my favorite ropeways is Japan are Shin-Hotaka Ropeway (https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5943.html) and the one-span Tateyama Ropeway along the Alpine Route:
(https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7550.html#ropeway)
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Which of these ropeways is the best? 2018/3/3 11:47
Out of the 4 choices listed, I would rate the view from Miyajima (Mt Misen) Ropeway the best. However, of all the ropeways I have ridden in Japan, my favorite is the one in Hakodate (Hokkaido) to Mt Hakodate.
by 3yan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which of these ropeways is the best? 2018/3/3 16:59
On nice day the ride up Mt Misen at Miyajima is great and the view from the top is spectacular. Then again I like the hike up there too.
I am embarrassed to admit that I couldn't find the entrance to the ropeway in Kobe. I know I was very close to it but it was dark & I got lost.
As an aside for me, and not necessarily for the ropeway which was was packed, very packed. But the best view when you reach the top is from Mt. Inasa in Nagasaki But I realise you are probably not going anywhere near there.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Which of these ropeways is the best? 2018/3/4 08:23
Miyajima would get my vote out of that list.

On the side note - Hakodate was a bit functional/touristy for my liking, but the evening view was good (before it poured with rain). I also like the Uzusan Ropeway near lake Toya because of the volcano.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Which of these ropeways is the best? 2018/3/7 05:49
Thank you! This helps a lot :)
by karenmf28 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread