Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/3 20:39
Hi

I will flying in to Hiroshima Airport and will go straight to Fukuoka.

Will be staying at the near city area (nearest station Nakasukawabata Station) for 5 nights with 1 day trip to Kumamoto, will stay at Beppu for 1 night and then go back to Hiroshima for 5 nights before flying out again from Hiroshima airport.

Do you recommend the Sanyo Sanfin Northen Kyushu pass for the first 7 days for Hiroshima-Fukuoka-Hiroshima?

Or should I get separate bullet train only ticket for Hiroshima-Fukuoka-Hiroshima, then 5 days northen Kyushu pass?

After going back to Hiroshima, will it be good to get Hiroshima-Yamaguchi Pass or any other tourist pass available?

Planning to visit Onomichi and Miyajima.

I will be visiting in April, and by that time the Hiroshima tourist bus pass is no longer available.

Thanks
by need your help  

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/4 08:19
There is alot of blank days there. Wanna share more useful info? Might be best to list each day per a new line also.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/4 10:14
The sum of individual fares may vary depending on your actual itinerary, but from my rough calculation it will be more than 40,000 yen. Yes, Sanyo Sanfin Northen Kyushu pass 22,000 yen will easily pay off.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/4 12:08
Day 1 : Hiroshima airport to Fukuoka ( staying near Nakasuwabata station)
Day 2 : explore the city centre ( canal city)/seaside park
Day 3 : marinoa city outlet
Day 4 : Kumamoto
Day 5 : takachiho gorge ( but tour fully booked, any other suggestions?)
Day 6: Beppu (overnight stay booked)
Day 7: Go back to Hiroshima
Day 8: explore the city centre
Day 9: Miyajima
Day 10: Onomichi
Day 11: explore hiroshima station (overnight at hiroshima airport hotel)

Please recommend for the suitable passes. Thank you!
by need your help rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/4 17:05
@Hakata14 It actually looks a lot like one of my itineraries. I plan which cities I will be in, have a list of places I want to see and make detailed plans in the evening for what to do the next day depending on weather forecast & mood.
As @Frog1954 says the Sanyo San'in pass seems like a good idea. Just a note I really enjoyed the Kure line from Hiroshima to Onomichi which runs along the Seto sea past Kure and Takehara which are both worth visiting.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/4 17:58
If you are just looking at Hiroshima to Hakata, Hakata to Beppu, Beppu to Hiroshima. That totals 26,XXX yen. Over the 22,000 yen cost of the pass. So yes makes sense to get that pass. Plus you can travel to over locations in northern Fukuoka if you wish.

Hiroshima to Miyajima and Onomichi on another pass probably wont work as those aren't long expensive trips. Probably tickets or IC card.

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/6 16:18
Appreicate all of your replies.
Any suggestion for day trip from fukuoka?

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/6 17:59
Nagasaki, Karatsu, Kumamoto, Kagoshima/Sakurajima, Kokura/Mojiko are all days trips away from Fukuoka.

Inside Fukuoka City and surrounds = Atago Shrine x2, Fukuoka castle ruins + Shiomi Tower, Nishi Park, Gokuku Shrine, ARCOS building, Tenjin Central Park, Shokufuji Temple, Hakozaki Temple, Chikuzen Sumiyoshi, Nanzoin temple, Canal City, Ohori Park plus more.

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/6 21:39
Nagasaki is a great day trip from Fukuoka. Dazaifu is always worth a visit. I thoroughly enjoyed Yoshinogari Archaeological park but that's down to my interests. For a relaxed day I really, really enjoyed Uminonakamichi seaside park even though I was there just as the Sakura petals started to fall.

I thought Kagoshima was too far away for a day trip But it's only about 100 minutes. However it is outside the range of the Northern Kyushu pass
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/7 09:13
Appreicate all of your replies.
Any suggestion for day trip from fukuoka?

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/8 13:01
Appreciate all the helpful answers.

Do you guys recommend Yufuin? I was looking at the map and see that it is quite near to Beppu.
Worth a stopover before reaching Beppu ? Anyone of you has visited Beppu and Yufuin before?

Any worth visiting gorge other than Takachiho gorge?

My dad would like to buy SEIKO made in Japan watch, will Tenjin be a better place to look for it or I should go straight to canal city shopping centre?

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/8 13:15
Takachiho is quite difficult and time consuming to get to using public transport. Unless you are super keen to see it, then I'd omit it.

Yufuin is up to you. Does it interest you? Plenty of attractions to see and do. It is cureently only accessed by rail transport from Oita/Beppu. So if you are staying a few nights in Beppu or Oita, then it might be worth a trip up the mountain.

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/10 00:50
Has anyone ever visited Kawachi Wisteria Garden ? Worth visiting for a day trip from Fukuoka?

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/12 04:58
I must have missed you mentioning what time you are thinking of traveling.
During Golden Week (1st week of May) the wisteria at Kawachi Fujien are stunning. But so are the crowds, and it is a pain to get to. You can't go there and just buy a ticket - with so many people there now you have to get one at a convenience store. Search the forum for past answers on how to get to there. If not in Golden Week, most of the time the place is not open.

Regarding the places to see in Fukuoka listed above: the Acros Bldg is only really worth it on the weekends when you can climb it to the roof. Nobody told me about the weekends part when I last went, which resulted is a lot of trouble. Hakozaki Shrine (not Temple) is quite historical (it was burned down in the first Mongol invasion in 1274) but one of the real gems is its flower garden for peonies and hydrangea (May & June mostly). Tenjin Central Park has little and not worth much attention. Gokoku Jinja is worth a brief look next to Ohori Park, but nothing worth going out of your way for.
Some other nice places are Nokonoshima for its hiking and Island Park, (especially cherry blossoms, canola and in the fall, cosmos), there are some nice traditional gardens at Rakusuien, Yusentei, and Ohori Park, plus the views from the Fukuoka Tower or Minami Park Tower are excellent when the weather is good. The Gion area has some nice temples - Shofukuji as mentioned plus Japan's biggest carved wooden Great Buddha (about 11m tall) at Tochoji - and it's free. There are tons of small temples in the area but most aren't open to the public.
Nakasu is the night time district and try out some Hakata ramen at one of the ramen stalls (yatai) along the Naka River there. The smell is quite pungent but they are very proud of their ramen.
http://www.thejapanfaq.com/fukpic.html
http://bit.ly/1KAm8cU
There is also a new 2 day subway pass you can use
http://subway.city.fukuoka.lg.jp/eng/fare/two/
and many places are close to one of the subway stations.

Some other day trip possibilities are Karatsu in Saga, Kitakyushu (Kokura Castle, Mojiko, Sarakurayama), Shimonoseki (Kanmon undersea tunnel, Hi no Yama, Kaikyokan aquarium, Akama Shrine etc).

Tenjin is the main shopping area, and you can find some good watches at the large Bic Camera there, or near Hakata Station there is a Yodobashi Camera shop. Maybe at Canal City but that is more clothing and boutique shops. If you're from Singapore, you'll probably find something cheaper where you are though.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/15 11:05
For sanyo sanin northen kysuhu pass, the description is g The pass can be used on Sanyo Shinkansen (between Shin-Osaka and Hakata), Kyushu Shinkansen (between Hakata and Kumamoto), normal reserved and non-reserved seating on Limited Express trains (including Chizu Express lines), Regular Express trains, and local service trains (including Special Rapid and Rapid services) as well as JR West Miyajima Ferry, West JR Bus (route buses), Chugoku JR Bus (route buses), and gEkirinkunh Rent-a-Cyclesg.

I am a little confused, does the word local service train is the same with local subway train?
Which means that I can take local subway train in Fukuoka?

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/15 11:34
No. Only the local trains "on" JR lines.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima and Fukuoka 2018/3/15 14:27
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread