Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/4 04:24
Ifm doing a trip to Japan in March and wanted to stop at a traditional Onsen ryokan midway between Tokyo and Kyoto, while traveling on the Shinkansen. I would like to have a private Onsen in my room and I am searching for the best option that isnft super Expensive at Hakone?

Wefre 4 btw
by Alonso Odria  

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/5 06:57
Hi. I havent heard of an in-room onsen at Hakone but I can tell you, you wouldnt want it. The Hakone water is very sulfuric, it is milky white and really soft. But it stinks like rotten eggs - it is super, super strong.

Also I think most in room baths in onsen towns have normal tap water in them, at least that is the case in most of the places I have stayed.

I have stayed at a few places with big baths in the rooms and some with rotenburo outside the rooms in a private courtyeard, which is pretty nice as long as it isnt mosquito season, but none at Hakone. You might be better off looking for a place with a private onsen and booking it. If you go mid week usually there arent many people around.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/5 08:16
There are many options - Hakone is a big region. Bigger hotels/ryokan tend to offer more options when it comes to in-room Onsen.

I stayed at Hotel Okada, in a room with private roten-buro (outdoor bathing tub). It's a very nice hotel, but almost too big for my taste (I probably will not be a repeat customer, but have no problem recommending it to others).
http://www.hotel-okada.co.jp/eng/
by Y34 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/5 09:26
Thanks for the advice. Because the members in my family are very conservative the idea of not wearing a swimsuit is a bit strong. Thatfs why we were looking for an in-Room Onsen. We could consider renting an Onsen but most Ryonkan donft allow you to make reservations before you arrive and we wouldt make the trip with that much Uncertainty.

Which ryokan allow swimsuits? Or early reservation of a private Onsen?

I saw one that was pretty nice itfs called Aura Tachibana. Has anyone heard of that one?
by Alonso Odria rate this post as useful

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/5 09:36
Hi, you dont want to wear swimsuits in the Hakone water, it will ruin them. My daughters did in the private onsen at Lalaca, and the sulphur smell from the togs got through their suitcases, it was rank.

I'd look for somewhere else without the sulphur water. Maybe around Kamakura? Iwamotoro Honkan at Enoshima has nice water which isnt sulphur based, but I dont think they had a private bath. Bessho Onsen inst as smelly either.

Or just work on the basis that you will throw out your togs after you used them, I suppose.

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/5 10:02
If you don't mind just reheated water and not a true onsen experience but want bathing suits, just visit Yunessun. After spending time in their bathing suit onsen, your suits might smell of coffee or tea but not sulphur. It's cheezy and fun, though it use to be better when it had more outdoor baths. I've thought about taking my daughter because it's fun.

I have seen places with in room rotemboro in Hakone, but I've never personally stayed in one.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/5 10:24
I booked a room with in-room onsen at the Hakone Manatee after reading the reviews. I didn't see any reviews that mentioned an odor or smell from the water. Any thoughts? I don't mind looking for another place to stay if the water is foul.
by Jack (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/5 12:28
It's not foul, but it is smelly. Anywhere in Hakone with the onsen water has the rotten egg smell which takes a bit of getting used to, eg some of it runs down the drains next to the roads in places, and it pongs a bit. But then on the other hand, the sulphur in the water makes your skin feel silky!

I dont know how people could get romantic in the onsen baths. First it smells like farts, second the water is pretty close to 40 celsius in most of them, so you dont want too much excitement. But as long as you are happy to just sit in the water and relax, the sulphur water is the nicest IMO.

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/8 03:37
I was looking that up too since my husband did not like the idea of public baths. I found Hakone Yuryo to have private bath but its for 60 min rental. I haven't been to Hakone before but the last time I went to Japan I went to Arima and the osen there was very pleasant and no smell.
by Angela (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/8 09:20

Check this out, and look at the room with the rotenburo:
https://kai-ryokan.jp/en/hakone/#rooms-suites
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/8 09:23

Sorry, looks like "semi rotenburo"
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/8 10:46
Yeah I looked to stay there for a treat and it was amazingly expensive, and food wasnt included in the rate from memory.

Not at Hakone, but we stayed at Hozantei ryokan at Kurokawa Onsen, instead of rooms it had kind of cabins and not only did it have an indoor private bath but it also had an outdoor private rotenburo overlooking a stream with ducks and waterfalls, it would have to be the most magical place I've been to, in fact it has pretty much ruined me because I dont think anywhere else will ever match up.

Re: Best ryokan with in-room Onsen in Hakone? 2018/3/9 00:43
Is the water smelly at every Onsen? For what I understand there are several different water sources or springs around Hakone, so the Onsen take water from different sources. Does this affect the smell intensity or are they all the Same? We were looking for Onsen around Hakone-Yumoto station

We wanted to stay one night at a ryokan on or way to Kyoto and Hakone seemed like the more ideal place due to its location next to the tokaido line of the Shinkansen. Any other place like five lakes or Izu seemed to imply a big detour. Is there any other place like Hakone in or around the tokaido line?

Are kamakuras Onsen from natural water springs? I read at some place that they were drilled deep underground but donft know if it is true?

Ps: we donft mind ruining and old swimsuit in case the water destroys it for some reason
by Alonso Odria rate this post as useful

reply to this thread