Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling solo while pregnant 2018/3/14 03:36
I'm going to Japan for two weeks in May to visit family. I've been many times but this time I'll be traveling solo and will be 23 weeks pregnant (graduation gift from my husband). I'll mainly be based near Shizuoka but I want to take a couple of day/two-day trips to locations fairly close by. I'm for sure going to Kamakura, but would appreciate other recommendations!

Along with that if you have any advice for traveling solo and/or pregnant in Japan, I would appreciate that as well!
by sayakokoro  

Re: Traveling solo while pregnant 2018/3/14 12:05
First, regarding the pregnancy, there is nothing special you have to do as long as it is progressing normally. Some airlines like to be notified of it ahead of time and they will put in a not for their check in staff. No big issue as long as you are not within a month of your due date.

For what to see, it's iffy on how far you are willing to go. The nearby sights are Kamakura & Enoshima, Izu, Hakone, and the Tanzawa/Oyama area. Odakyu has a number of passes that can help you save money.
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/

Yokohama is an often bypassed place, yet has some good places.
In Kanagawa there is the Kawasaki Nihon Minkaen, plus the Machida squirrel park might be something new.
http://english.nihonminkaen.jp/
https://www.machida-risuen.com/
Nagoya is not the most interesting city in Japan, but every place has something. Inuyama Castle and Meiji Mura might be nice for you to see.
Plus Tokyo always has something. Or hiking like Takao or Okutama.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling solo while pregnant 2018/3/14 12:31
Hi!

I actually went to Japan around 23 weeks pregnant in 2010 solo! I have no family in Japan, I just like going to Japan. Coincidentally, I actually did a day trip to Kamakura that trip and had a lovely time. As long as your pregnancy is progressing normally, walking around Kamakura won't be a problem. I just needed to make sure to drink enough (something I'm not always good about in Japan) and to eat snacks on a fairly regular basis because I had killer morning sickness my entire pregnancy. Overall, I had less morning sickness that trip to Japan than any other time in my pregnancy, including an earlier trip to Japan. lol

I did Tokyo/Kamakura/Kyoto/Osaka when I was around 23 weeks That was the trip when I finally went to Enryakuji.

If you're flying ANA or JAL I would let them know when you're leaving to come to Japan that you're pregnant and they will give you a special wristlet saying you're pregnant. I also got one from JR I think or maybe the Tokyo Metro. I wore mine about my wrist so that people would be more inclined to give me their seat on the train if I needed it. Take lots of pictures, I find my memory has never been the same since I was pregnant and it's also just fun.

I found I was super sensitive to mattresses and pillows, but that might not be a problem for you.

Enjoy your trip!

by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread