Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Double Registration 2018/3/16 14:04
Dear All,

I am a UK citizen living in Singapore and my fiance who is Japanese is also in Singapore. As I understand it she needs to register in Japan under a city hall to legalise here marriage. Even if we register in Singapore. According to the law in Japan I as a UK citizen need to complete an affirmation form.

In the affirmation form it has the following:

A marriage is proposed to be solemnised between me and
以下の者との婚姻を申し入れます。
er)(相手の氏名)
of (usual address)(相手の現住所)
a _________________________________ (nationality of partner) National(相手の国籍)
at ______________________________________________ (place of marriage) (婚姻場所)
on __________________________________ (date of marriage)(婚姻日).

now my question is, I we are both already solemnised and have a marriage certificate in Singapore. Do I still need to do an affirmation in Tokyo at the British embassy because this form assumes that you are not already married. Can i simply take a copy of the marriage certificate obtain in Singapore both original English and translated Japanese along with my birth certificate (original + translated) to the city hall office?

or should i cancel my solemnisation in Singapore and just register directly in Tokyo.
by surankularatna  

Re: Double Registration 2018/3/17 12:21
As far as I know, if you already got married elsewhere, you report/register that marriage in Japan after-the-fact, as a Singaporean marriage, in your case.

We (myself Japanese and husband continental European) got married in the UK while we were residents there, and upon return to Japan we reported the UK marriage ("in accordance with the UK law") to the city hall in Japan after-the-fact. In our case, I took an official duplicate of the UK marriage certificate, its Japanese translation (done by myself, the name of the translator needs to be there) to the city hall.

Check with the city hall exactly what documents are needed for your Japanese wife to "report an overseas marriage," not to "get married in Japan." And since this relates to the Japanese national, I would say she would have to go to the city hall. Then her marriage to you will be entered into the remarks of her family register as "married to Mr. XX in Singapore on (date) according to the Singaporean law."
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread