Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do I get a design job in Japan? 2018/3/22 03:38
Hi all, I am an Industrial Designer from India. I have a bachelors as well as a masters degree from a well reputed institute in India. Even though I am happy with my current job, writing manga was always my dream. I believe that you can't really understand a place unless you stay there for a while. It is my childhood dream to live in Japan to experience Japanese culture. I can save a lot of money and move there but I want to try some practical options too. Is it possible for me to get an Industrial Design job in Japan? That too online, like even before arrival? I want to get a well paying job over there and write a manga in my spare time. I am not looking for a life long stay but at least 2 years will do.
I read a lot of negative reviews from other people who moved there and had no luck in finding a job in their fields. Most of them ended up working in stores & restaurants.

My real question is, is the job situation really difficult for qualified foreigners in Japan? and is it possible to get a job while you are still in your home country? Any help is appreciated :)
by Zarinofy  

Re: How do I get a design job in Japan? 2018/3/22 11:19
Are you fluent in Japanese? It's also the most important qualification.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a design job in Japan? 2018/3/22 13:33
There are plenty of industrial design jobs in Japan as they have very mature product design and manufacturing companies.

I don't know your case, but like I always tell others looking for professional opportunities here: keep in mind that Japan is not an entry-level job market for foreigners. When a company here receives an application from overseas, they expect someone that offers already some level of experience and expertise. It doesn't mean it is entirely impossible if you don't have this, but it'll be more challenging because you will be competing against local applicants without any significant strength to compensate for being out of Japan. Anyway, there's really nothing to lose in applying.

I suggest that you seek job opportunities through networking and recruiting agencies. LinkedIn and Career Cross are good starting points. Find a vacancy you like, take the phone, and call the recruiter directly. If you can get a recruiter to advertise your resume to an employer, the chances are much higher than when you just apply directly on the company's website.

Regarding the salary, it will depend on your experience, but in this field the starting salary should not be less than 4 million jpy / year.
by burrito (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a design job in Japan? 2018/3/24 01:28
Hi Burrito, I do have some work experience and it certainly won't hurt to build an advanced portfolio before applying. If you don't mind can you tell me if I will have to learn how to write Japanese? I am a taking a course in spoken but I don't know if written is also as important. Thanks a lot for your answer :)
by Zarinofy rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a design job in Japan? 2018/3/24 08:18
To apply for a position, you are expected to make your resume in Japanese.
Internal and external communication is held mostly via email and chat system.
Yes, you need to write and read Japanese at business level.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a design job in Japan? 2018/3/26 10:28
Hi Zarinofy

It really depends on the organization that you're looking to work for. It is true that in the past japanese language was a very hard requirement by employers, but today more companies are starting to english inside the office, especially foreign ones.

But when a job does require you to be proficient in japanese, the expectation is usually both written and spoken. Just be aware that for companies, to be able to speak japanese does not mean just casual conversation or asking for directions, it means that you can conduct everyday business in good and fluent japanese (N2 level as a minimum). If you're not there yet, keep studying, but for now I'd recommend you to focus on international companies that do not require you to speak japanese at work.
by burrito (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a design job in Japan? 2018/3/26 20:04
You all have put forward some really important points and it will help me a lot in future.

Arigatou Gozaimashita !
by Zarinofy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread