Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I teach English without a degree? 2018/3/29 21:21
Hello, hope you're having a great day.
I'm currently a 17 year old who will be graduating from an international highschool this year. I'm doing highschool in Osaka right now, and I've taken up the IB programme. I've always loved tutoring kids, and it was something I would do as a part time job or even just as volunteer work. It would be an amazing thing for me if I could teach English in Japan, especially to high school students. I'm an Indian blood, American born citizen from Florida, however I did most of my schooling in International schools in India, and currently am doing my last two years of highschool in Japan. My Japanese is not business level, however, I know enough to communicate with my friends and get around Japan.
I usually get good grades in English and in Japanese. I was wondering if it was possible to start teaching English in Japan without having a university degree, and having American citizenship.
by ƒWƒƒƒ‹ƒR (guest)  

Re: Can I teach English without a degree? 2018/3/30 18:21
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can I teach English without a degree? 2018/3/30 18:24
Itfs not particularly difficult to find employment without a degree. Unless youfre talking about being an actual teacher at a public school or lecturing at a university, English teaching is for the most part an entry level position. It is not a graduate job.

However the visa is a different issue. We donft know your current residence status or what your residence status will be after you graduate school. Needless to say, if you have permission to be in Japan and to work, therefs a good chance you can teach English. But you wonft find company sponsorship as an English teacher without a degree and/or significant work experience.

Working holiday visa is out of the question because you are American.

If you got a student visa for further study of Japanese language, it is possible that you could work but your hours would be limited to less than full time.

If you happened to get married to a Japanese national, you could teach English in Japan.

Thatfs all I can think of for now.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I teach English without a degree? 2018/3/30 20:09
You have a unique situation in that you are already in Japan.

As explained earlier and in the supplied link, you need a degree or major work experience.

Most of the time school aren't interested unless you have those things as they cannot waste time and money and effort on someone they haven't met half way across the globe.

You on the other hand can walk straight in and introduce yourself, shake hands, bow, whatever form of greeting you are with. That is something those hopefuls half way across the globe don't have.

I'd probably attempt to introduce yourself in whatever way you can. Maybe volunteer time tutoring or whatever idea you can come up with. I ain't saying it'll work, but you have a tool for introductions the others do not.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I teach English without a degree? 2018/3/30 20:28
You can bow all you want, but if you don't have the degree/experience that are legally required, you don't get the job.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Can I teach English without a degree? 2018/3/31 16:06
What advice does your Careers Adviser or your Principal give? I would talk with them. IB is an internationally recognised qualification of a very high level, if you can get the necessary passes, don't overlook studying for a degree. There may be an option to do it in Japan., since you are already there.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I teach English without a degree? 2018/4/11 19:10
Rather than the companies giving you trouble for not having a degree, it would be immigration. They stress that people without a 4-year University degree (college doesn't count) most likely won't get a work visa.

You should go ask your local immigration office what your options are. You will most likely need to go get a degree.
by FloppyMochiBunny rate this post as useful

reply to this thread