Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

rabbit island to shimanami kaido cycle route 2018/3/31 07:30
Hello everyone
I want to do both rabbit island and shimanami kaido cycle route on the same day
Is that possible? I read there is a ferry from okunushima to Omishima island but i cant seem to find the link to them.

Since i might need to get to nagoya or osaka on that same night (i have JR pass) i thought about starting early from hiroshima, stopping at okunushima island and then doing part of the cycling route and then continuing north toward onomichi (and from there to osaka or nagoya).

Does that trip even make sense or is it too much?
Are there really ferries making that route?
Will it make more sense if I stayed overnigh in onomichi?
Thanks, Ohad
by ohad nehushtan (guest)  

Re: rabbit island to shimanami kaido cycle route 2018/3/31 10:34
Do you want to ride the whole route? Experienced, equipped cyclists can do it in a few hours.
by kmb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rabbit island to shimanami kaido cycle route 2018/3/31 15:40
hI kmb
no - i wish to ride only some of the way.
I was thinking to start the ride where i "land" from okunushima and stop at any point going north that is not necessarily the end point (doing 10-20 km is more than enough i suppose).
by ohad nehushtan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rabbit island to shimanami kaido cycle route 2018/3/31 15:54
If you only want to ride about 10-20 km I would ride the Kibi plain by Okayama instead.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/2017/11/day-45-kibi-plain-and-ku...
That would also be doable as a stopover between Hiroshima and Osaka.

The attraction of Shimanami Kaido are the different islands AND the bridges. Specially the last one over to Shikoku is spectacular.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/2017/11/part-10-day-48-49-riding...

Enjoy your ride in Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rabbit island to shimanami kaido cycle route 2018/3/31 16:32
Thanks for the answers

Unfortunately i will not have the time to go to another area - this one is right on the way because i was planning to do rabbit island anyway...

I looked at the trail and if i start at omishima i can still cycle over the tatara bridge and there is some very nice scenery.
My problem is that i dont see any connection from the sakari ferry station at the northern part of the island toward the route itself...
Also not sure where i can find a list of all the cycle rentals along the way.
by ohad nehushtan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rabbit island to shimanami kaido cycle route 2018/3/31 16:55
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread