Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What should buy? The jr pass or pasmo? 2018/4/1 14:38
Im going to japan this upcoming May.

My route will be

Tokyo - kyoto - osaka
Or
Tokyo - osaka-koyto- osaka.

What should I buy, the jr pass or pasmo pass for every place?
by Melah  

Re: What should buy? The jr pass or pasmo? 2018/4/1 19:51
Tokyo - kyoto - osaka
Or
Tokyo - osaka-koyto- osaka.

Both do not fit your itinerary. You can not use PASMO for long distance travel like Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka. JR pass does not pay off for your itinerary. Better buy individual tickets. You can use PASMO for within Tokyo or Osaka to Kyoto rides though.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: What should buy? The jr pass or pasmo? 2018/4/1 22:14
28 day JR green pass.

Or else have a look on the transport pages of this website and spend 5 minutes doing a basic cost comparison.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: What should buy? The jr pass or pasmo? 2018/4/1 22:21
https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/
the railpass calculator should tell you if your trips will pay off. It is also worth mentioning Pasmo doesn't work on JR lines, so you might consider buying a Suica which does and I believe is a little cheaper as well.
by DanJpan rate this post as useful

Re: What should buy? The jr pass or pasmo? 2018/4/2 01:10
Pasmo works for JR just the same as Suica
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: your itinerary and transportation 2018/4/2 11:30
It seems you need more research based on reliable sources....

Some basic conditions for your trips are not yet given: dates, your airports, your timeline, your major destinations, the number of the travelers.

Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka
Or
Tokyo - Osaka-Kyoto- Osaka.

Will you fly into Narita [NRT] | Tokyo Haneda [HND] and fly out from Kansai [KIX]?
Then, a Japan Rail Pass would not pay off.

You can choose a package for a Shinkansen train ride without seat reservation at a discount price, which may be a good deal when you leave Tokyo for Kyoto | Shin-Osaka on the 7th or later day of May 2018, i.e. outside a high tourist season.

The Shinkansen goes not via Osaka Station; the only Shinkansen station in Osaka City is Shin-Osaka Station.

What should I buy

There is no pass which you "should" buy; you can buy some passes, on certain criteria.

the JR pass or Pasmo pass for every place?

A PASMO card is not a pass.
Suica and PASMO are fare collection systems which work with IC transportation cards such as Suica cards and PASMO cards.
These IC cards basically do not give you discounts on railway fares, neither do they allow you to have train rides for unlimited times.

DanJpan:
Pasmo doesn't work on JR lines

That is not collect.
Suica cards and PASMO cards have been usable completely in the same way on both JR and non-JR lines, since PASMO system got started, following Suica.

You cannot return a Suica | PASMO card for a refund in Kansai Region.
The e-money stored on the card will be effective for 10 years after the card is last used correctly.
(A card which has not been used for a long time might be once rejected by a machine for a further inspection by the railway staff.)

- IC cards in Japan
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread