Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Green spaces to relax under the sun in Tokyo 2018/4/8 10:19
As an alternative to going to beaches in Chiba, Kamakura etc., I am trying to find nice spots in or near Tokyo with grass to relax under the sun, picnic, read, etc. The last place I explored was along the Arakawa river near Arakawa natural park. Recommendations of specific areas would be appreciated!
by juuichigatsuno  

Re: Green spaces to relax under the sun in Tokyo 2018/4/8 16:56
Yoyogi Park is the first thing that comes to mind. Very large lawns there. Shinjuku Gyoen also comes to mind, but I don't think they allow picnicking.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Green spaces to relax under the sun in Tokyo 2018/4/8 18:52
A lot of parks spring to mind. Just look at a map and see if there is a big park without sport installation close by. (The ones with sport installations are often mainly sport and only a small park area.

Specific places that spring to mind:

- Hamarikyu (very nice with the contrast of old garden and skyscrapers)(entrance fee)
- Shinjuku Gyoen (entrance fee)
- Ueno Park
- Yoyogi Park
- Setagaya Park (Not very central but there is also an interesting museum in it)
- Mukashikoganei Park (close to Mitaka, with also the Edo Tatemono museum in it)
- Showa Kinen Park in Tachikawa (huge)
- Wadabori Park by Eifukucho (probably my personal favorite, as it feels like a day vacation in your childhood. Specially like the shed where you can have simple lunch and also fish fish)
- Kichijouji Park

I am sure there are MANY more. Those are only those where I went frequently. Nearly All of them in the West. But I am sure that in East, North Tokyo there are more.

All allow picknick in at least in some parts.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Green spaces to relax under the sun in Tokyo 2018/4/8 21:09
A great number of small parks have green areas, but if you prefer waterfronts, the further you go upstream the greener it tends to get. Just look at a map and find green places.

I'm from Tokyo, and the greenest place I've known so far within the 23 ku is the Institute for Nature Study.
http://www.ins.kahaku.go.jp/

But like I said, there are dozens of other free places. If you liked Arawaka, maybe you'll like Futakotamagawa too.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Green spaces to relax under the sun in Tokyo 2018/4/9 07:36
Thank you for the great tips and suggestions. I am definitely going to try Yoyogi or Shinjuku Gyoen, Wadabori, and the Nature institute in Tsukuba.

by juuichigatsuno rate this post as useful

Re: Green spaces to relax under the sun in Tokyo 2018/4/9 09:38
juuichigatsuno,

Hi again, and thanks for your feedback. But I don't think anyone has suggested Tsukuba. If you happen to be talking about the "Institute for Nature Study" I suggested, it's in Meguro-ku, Tokyo, near Meguro and Shirokanedai stations, as shown in the link. The institute's Japanese name is Shizen-kyoiku-en and it's a vast forest in the middle of Tokyo. It is closed on Mondays including today.

Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Green spaces to relax under the sun in Tokyo 2018/4/9 16:35
About the Ueno Park suggestion: it is a large park with a lot of trees in it, but I'd say it has more concrete than grass.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread