Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working visa has not yet been made 2018/4/14 12:17
My japanese language student visa ended on April 6,2018 and i already signed i a job contract on March 28,2018 but until today (April 14,2018) the company has not yet started my working visa progress which mean I'm illegal now.

I want to show up to the immigration and bring my working contract, passport and residence card. What should i say or prepare?
by Niania30  

Re: Working visa has not yet been made 2018/4/14 14:20
Sorry to hear of what happened.

Did the company tell you that they would apply for the change from "student" to "work" status immediately after you signed the contract with you? Did they even know when your "student" status would expire very soon?

If you have any record of correspondence with your employer (like e-mails) that shows that the employer led you to believe that they would file your work visa application immediately so that you can continue to stay in Japan, make a print-out and take that with you.

But still it was your responsibility to ensure that you comply with the immigration law, so you needed to either leave Japan before the "student" status expired, or urge your employer-to-be to complete the application before it expired.

Since you have overstayed your "student" status already, you might be subject to deportation. Does your (former) school have any student support who you can talk to?

There is a guideline for "departure order" instead of "deportation," if you intend to leave Japan.

http://www.moj.go.jp/content/000052868.pdf
(From Ministry of Justice website)

I don't know what kind of job it is/what kind of employer it is, and I don't know how long you have been studying in Japan, but you will probably have to be prepared to leave Japan. If you leave Japan under the "departure order," the ban to enter Japan should be just 1 year (it would be 5 years if you were "deported").

Even though you signed a contract, since your employer-to-be did not apply for the change from "student" to "work" status before it expired, I believe it would be extremely difficult to convince immigration to let you stay on.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa has not yet been made 2018/4/14 14:54
Big mistake here:
Whatever the situation is, NEVER overstay your visa. Never do that. There is no excuse. They are very touchy on this.

If you knew a company agreed to employ you, you should have gone to immigration, explain the situation, get an extension or ask for a work visa with documents from the company. Now it's just too late, some Japanese companies are very incompetent when dealing with immigration; they take things very lightly without thinking to consequences for the foreign employee. Your mistake.
by M (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread