Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wife has Japanese parent 2018/4/16 21:32
Hey all,

easy question that I'm finding hard to find an answer for.

quick version. My wife has Japanese parent who is citizen. Surely that means she can apply to live/work in japan!? plus then that means i can as we're married...

Can anyone help with my question? I've tried Japanese immigration sites but it's not clear!

THANKS
by Jodzz  

Re: Wife has Japanese parent 2018/4/17 13:01
First, you need to check whether your wife is a Japanese citizen; contact the Japanese embassy in your country of residence.

If yes, she needs to obtain a Japanese passport, and you can get a "spouse visa".

If not, she may be able to obtain a "Child of Japanese National" visa (ask the embassy), and you, "Long-term Resident" status (ask the immigration bureau in Japan), but it's much less certain.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Wife has Japanese parent 2018/4/17 13:20
By the way, that's assuming your wife's Japanese parent was Japanese at the time of her birth, and not for example a foreigner who naturalised afterwards. If that's not the case, she may not be entitled to anything.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread