Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A rental house for a month in summer 2019? 2018/4/22 20:50
We are a small family of three, and our son will be 2,5 years old in summer 2019. Me and my husband have travelled a lot around Japan, and I have also lived there for a couple of years. Now we are hoping to spend a month or so somewhere in Japan in June/July/August 2019 and I am looking for the perfect place.

Important:
- Can be reached from either Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya or Fukuoka airports. Train is pereferable, but we can also rent a car no problem.
- Entire house/apartment, at least 2 bedrooms. Suitable for quiet family life but also room for our son to play.
- Plenty of nature around: forests, mountains or beach.
- Supermarket and a restaurant somewhere close by.
- Possibility to cook, do laundry etc

Also hoping for:
- (Traditional) Japanese building
- Onsen bath somewhere near, maybe even in the house
- Basic level of comfort, hot water available, not too many insects inside the house.

We have not agreed on a budget yet, so willing to consider different options. We can speak basic Japanese. We are an honest, trustworthy family who like to keep to ourselves, but we really appreciate the Japanese people and the country. Please recommed a place for us to stay for our summer vacation in 2019.
by Where to stay for a month? (Airbnb?) (guest)  

Re: A rental house for a month in summer 2019? 2018/4/23 10:35
We rented the following property at Hayama last year, 100m from Hayama Beach. It was very quiet, handy to supermarket, we had a car, and there was space off road for that, but it wasn't cheap. Very good communication from the owner, who has a housekeeper that lives in Tokyo and organises everything.
www.boutique-homes.com/vacation-rentals/asia/japan/seaside-home-hayama-japan.

otherwise check the website, www.VRBO.com/Japan
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A rental house for a month in summer 2019? 2018/4/23 15:13
Hi, thank you for the link, the place looks amazing. However I think at 400 dollars a night it is a bit much to stay for a month. Also, I am hoping to find something a bit more hJapaneseh this time.
I have browsed options at airbnb but there are just so many, and it would be great to hear recommendations.
by OP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A rental house for a month in summer 2019? 2018/4/23 18:24
a month (June/July/August 2019), reached from Tokyo or Nagoya airports by train, forests, mountains, supermarket and restaurant close by, possibility to cook, do laundry, traditional Japanese building, onsen bath

Matsumoto.

A friend did just what you described. Some fantastic onsen in Matsumoto, too.
by Bert (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A rental house for a month in summer 2019? 2018/4/23 18:37
Sounds like a wonderful idea. Have you thought about breaking it up into multiple locations? As I think four weeks in one location would be too much. 14 days at two locations, nine days at three locations, seven days at four locations etc.

With your airport requirements, you can do all of Kyushu, Chigoku, Kansai, Chubu and Kanto regions.

Take Kumamoto for example. Within 2.5-3.5 hours of the whole island one way by car. But I don't think I'd need to be there for one month.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: A rental house for a month in summer 2019? 2018/4/23 18:51
Sorry forgot to mention that I think southern Kyushu might fit the bill of what you are looking for. Onsen, mountains, beaches.

Re: A rental house for a month in summer 2019? 2018/4/23 20:12
How about Wakayama prefecture? There's plenty of onsen, mountains, hiking opportunities (I've hiked with children in carriers so yes that is possible with a 2.5 yr old), coastal areas and culture.
For example, https://abnb.me/ofz1aFhFlM
https://abnb.me/ISvT5InFlM

Given your extensive experience in Japan and style of holiday you're after, I see no issue with you staying in one place for the duration of the trip. It's more about just being there and absorbing the lifestyle. I get that, we've done the same before too.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: A rental house for a month in summer 2019? 2018/4/24 04:40
Thank you all! Matsumoto and Wakayama both seem ideal. Special thanks for the airbnb links.

This time around we have decided to stay in one place. We used to backbag around Japan, but now with the little kid we want to enjoy the everyday life outside the big cities.

I must say I personally have always liked Kyushu best, but also found it to be a bit more challenging, mainly the moving around part. Same goes for most of Shikoku. Therefore places like Wakayama sound good now, looking for the best combination of comfort and nature/tradition. If only there was a teleportation device, I would not mind taking the family to, for example, Yakushima for the summer, but no way I will travel there with the kid and all the needed luggage...
by OP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A rental house for a month in summer 2019? 2018/4/24 07:15
You should have no issues moving around in Kyushu and Shikoku if you have a car.

And luggage shouldn't be an issue being summer. You should be packing lighter anyway, but also being smarter with how you pack. If you have a place with a washer, then you only need 6-7 days worth of clothing, not 13-14 days worth of clothing etc. Pack light and buy stuff like beach towel if and when you need them.

Yakushima for example shouldn't be an issue as you can leave the majority of you luggage at you rental house ,taking one bag for all three persons and visit Yakushima for 2-3 nights etc.

Wakayama suggestion is good by SAL19080. Offers all the things you are aiming for.

reply to this thread