Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to go? Christmas/New Year travel 2018/4/25 09:58
Hi,

I'm in a quandary and I hope you can help me! We are hoping to visit Japan again, but the only time we can travel is the period around 25 Dec to 10 Jan 2019.

We've been to Japan a few times, and have seen many of the 'major' tourist sites. Given the weather and limitations around travel at New Year's I just can't decide on a good itinerary. We are an active older couple who like the outdoors, and enjoy all things Japanese (but not onsen or skiing).

We are planning on spending 5-6 days in Tokyo and surroundings (e.g. Kamakura, Nikko). That leaves us 10-12 days. I've thought about the Tohoku region - but maybe winter isn't the best time to visit? I've also considered Kyushu, Shikoku and the area around Hagi. We will be travelling using a JR pass and don't want to rent a car.

What do you think? Any suggestions and opinions would be very gratefully received!

by Brizzie123 (guest)  

Re: Where to go? Christmas/New Year travel 2018/4/25 17:03
I would recommend Iwate or Aomori even at that time of year (the best onsen in Japan are there!!); or Hokkaido is perfect in the snow.

Make sure to reserve New Year day to join in at the traditional first shrine visit of the new year, hatsumode. We did this and loved the matsuri-type atmosphere. Just find a big shrine around where you 're staying around New Year and drop by.
Plenty to enjoy in winter in Japan, IMO.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go? Christmas/New Year travel 2018/4/25 17:27
Remember that during that time of year, the sun sets very early. I remember living in Aomori and it became dark about 5pm, so the sun would set around 4:30pm. There is more light during the early morning, but many places aren't open that early....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go? Christmas/New Year travel 2018/4/25 18:08
For New Year, why not go to the Oga Peninsula and see the namahage?
We went there once for New Year, and it was great. Remote and quiet, but with a festival atmosphere as the namahage came to visit.
(There's a good NHK World TV programme on it, which I assume will be available on the internet on demand.)

Other than that, I'd be trying to make sure I got the chance to try some special New Year's food - osechi. Also to do a shrine visit on New Year's Day to share in that experience. I guess it's up to you whether you want to be in a big city at a bustling shrine, or to be somewhere more remote and have a different experience.

It's a shame that you're not into onsens. A mountain onsen in the snow would be a highlight of any trip at around that time of year for me...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go? Christmas/New Year travel 2018/4/25 19:02
Thanks so much for your suggestions!

I hadn't expected anyone to recommend going North, so I'm surprised and pleased!

These are the places I thought might possibly be included in our visit in addition to what you have suggested: Hiraizumi, Geibeiki, Matsushima, Naruko Gorge, Yamadera, Hirosaki, Aizu Wakamatsu.

What do you think? Are some less worthwhile in winter? I thought at least some might be done as day trips from Sendai.
by Brizzie123 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to go? Christmas/New Year travel 2018/4/26 03:21
Your main problem will be short days/early sunsets, so I guess maybe either staying in a lot of ryokans (my logic there is that itfs no hardship checking into a nice ryokan, and itfs ready-made entertainment and relaxation even when its dark outside), and/or combining that with staying in some cities (where there are more things to do in the evening), might maximise your fun?
Wefve been two or three times over Xmas and New Year, and those are the things I think I would do if we were there at that time again.
If you are in a city over Christmas then one thing I remember was the amazingly efficient way in which the malls were full of Xmas decorations up until the day, and then on the next day they had all gone and it was all about New Year.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread