Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/6 04:35
HI,
after search Hyperdia, it seems hokuriku area tourist pass not pay off.
Nagoya to takayama 3350 yen
Takayama - shirkawago 2470 yen
shirkawago -Kanazawa 1850 yen
Kanazawa - Kyoto 4000 yen
total 11670 yen but hokuriku pass 14000 yen.
am I no need buy the pass?
is the pass also included Odawara - Nagoya?

by go to swim  

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/6 06:17
Nagoya to takayama 3350 yen - that's the cost for local trains! If you don't want to spend 4 hours on local trains, then you have to pay around 6000 yen for the limited express. More details:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5908.html?aFROM=2155_5900

Kanazawa - Kyoto 4000 yen - again, this is just the base fare! If you want to do the trip with a proper train, you will pay around 7000 yen. More details:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4208.html?aFROM=2158_2167

is the pass also included Odawara - Nagoya?

No. The coverage area is explained here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_takayama_hokuriku.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/6 09:24
Hi!

I really love Hyperdia, but I suspect the problem with your train fares is the fact you were ignoring the something of a misnomer "seat fare." While there is a fee for having a reserved seat, it's generally around 500 yen per trip. What Hyperdia calls a seat fare is the seat reservation fee+ the express fare. If you go to the little box where it says seat fare, you can change it to Green Car (costs more) or Non-reserved seat. The total of that express charge and the base fare gives you a fare for taking a limited Express (like the Thunderbird) or the shinkansen.

I really wish there was a sticky explaining that quirk with Hyperdia somewhere because a lot of people seem to think they can somehow just pay the base fare for long trips.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/6 09:58
Need to look at total fare, not base fare.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/7 06:48
thanks , now I understand.
the pass for 5 days and my last day will be in Kyoto,
will the pass useful for around Kyoto or maybe go Nara?
can I exchange voucher in narita airport or Uedo station? or must go Tokyo station?
by go to swim rate this post as useful

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/7 08:52
You can use it for Nara access.

Narita is one of the exchange locations. Please see... http://hokuriku-arch-pass.com/en/location.html

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/7 12:01
You can use it for Nara access.

Narita is one of the exchange locations.

Hakata, the OP is talking about Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass, not Hokuriku Arch Pass. So Nara s not included. Further, around Kyoto it is almost invalid; you can not use it to go to Arashiyama or Fushimiinari since these are not on Kosei line or Tokaido line.

I can't find the exact places you can exchange, but according to this pdf

http://touristpass.jp/common/pdf/locations/locations_ja.pdf

you can exchange at the following stations.

Tokyo
Shinagawa
Shin-Yokohama
Nagoya
Takayama
Komatsu
Kanazawa
Toyama
Kyoto
Shin-Osaka
Osaka
Kansai Airport
Nagoya
CENTRAL JAPAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (NGO)
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/7 17:59
English version if that helps for exchanging voucher.

http://touristpass.jp/common/pdf/locations/locations_en.pdf

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/7 18:13
the something of a misnomer "seat fare."

First, it's "seat fee", and second, no, it's not a misnomer, just an abbreviation. The full name, at least for JR companies, is Žw’èÈ“Á‹}—¿‹à, which means "reserved seat limited express fee" (and likewise for Ž©—RÈ).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/7 18:21
Also, "seat reservation fee" (Žw’èÈ—¿‹à) does not exist for limited expresses, though it does exist for rapids that have reserved seating (e.g., many "joyful" trains).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/8 06:53
thanks everyone,
do I need to get the pass before reserve bus seat.

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/8 07:00
You need to have the pass before reserving "train" seats.... I don't know what you mean about "bus" seats. Buses were never discussed here.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/8 07:24
Well Firas, abbreviated and in English it is something of a misnomer or at the least a poor translation, since in English it sounds like a fee for reserving a seat and it is not obvious that it also includes a fee for using a Limited Express/shinkansen. Hyperdia doesn't have anywhere on the results pages that "This is an abbreviation" or explain exactly what the fee is. A lot of people seem to miss it because I've seen at least 3 or 4 threads in the last two months of people who thought they could just pay the base fare, so it seems like a fairly common misinterpretation.

Again, in English, which is the language this forum and website is in, the terminology used on Hyperdia is a reserved seat or unreserved seat and as there is a fee for a reserved seat so... in English, there is a seat reservation fee. Whether that is the same as what the term is in Japanese seems somewhat moot as again, this is an English website and forum where there is a requirement to speak and understand English but not to know Japanese.

There are many extremely helpful members of this forum which also know Japanese, like yourself, however, I am not one of them and so I can only go by the English and what the English means as a native English speaker.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/8 08:02
I don't know what you mean about "bus" seats. Buses were never discussed here.

The pass discussed here is Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass which includes bus lines between Takayama and Kanazawa/Toyama. Most of the buses require reservation.

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/highwaybus/shirakawago.pdf

To gTakayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Passh and gShoryudo Highway Bus Ticketh holders
You may not use the online bus reservation service. If you wish to ride a bus that requires a reservation, please make a reservation by calling the reservation center mentioned above.

I am not 100% certain, but if you want to reserve seats as a pass holder, I think you need to have the pass (or at least have paid for it) to call their reservation centers. I think you can do it after you land in Japan. Maybe the hotel staff will help you call the reservation center.

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/8 08:18
My apologies....my knowledge of the passes issued by JR Tokai is negligible and it shows... :-)
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/8 23:28
thanks
I go on July, so I worry bus seat will gone after land Japan.
I just find out the pass c't reserve fast train and only allow reserve ordinary train.
this pass not seem convenient - c't reserve bus online and c't reserve fast train (shinkansen Hikari). I am not sure can reserve express wide view to takayama.

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/9 10:51
I go on July, so I worry bus seat will gone after land Japan.

I can't say for sure, but in general first half of July is not busy season, so if you travel in the first half (or more specifically before 20th) you don't need to worry. I hope someone who rode the bus in July might have more precise answer.

I just find out the pass c't reserve fast train and only allow reserve ordinary train.

The route of Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass includes very little Shinkansen line. Toyama to Kanazawa, that is. And most tourist will not use this section. If you want to ride, it's just 20 min ride and there are non-reserved seat which is not crowded usually. Other than that, all you can ride is non-Shinkansen trains. You can ride "Limited Express" trains from Nagoya to Takayama and Kanazawa to Osaka which normally require "seat fee for limited express trains", but with this pass you can take reserved seats for free (you must make reservation at the train stations though). Again I think it unlikely that the seats are booked out. I just check the Limited Express Hida from Nagoya to Takayama on next Saturday, and all of them have vacant seats. Even if the reserved seats are booked out you can take non-reserved seats.

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/10 04:01
thanks
unfortunately, I will go on 27 July busy time.
bus will also fully booked because they can book online 1 month before, but I c't book until exchange voucher in japan.
can I upgrade to green car with pass to secure takayama wide view train?
if I not buy pass, where can I buy wide view train before arrive japan?

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/10 17:18
unfortunately, I will go on 27 July busy time.
bus will also fully booked because they can book online 1 month before, but I c't book until exchange voucher in japan.

I am not 100% certain, but I think you can book the bus after you purchase the Takayama Hokuriku area tourist pass. This can be made by telephone. You should keep in mind the time difference and call when the reservation center is open. If you use some IP phone (like Skype), it won't be so expensive.

Nohi Bus Reservation Center
TEL (0577) 32-1688 9:00-18:00

Hokurikutetsudou Reservation Center
TEL(076)234-0123 9:00~18:00

can I upgrade to green car with pass to secure takayama wide view train?
if I not buy pass, where can I buy wide view train before arrive japan?

No, there is no green car version of Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass.
Even if you are in the summer vacation season in Japan, it is rather unlikely
that all of Hida express is full for several days. There are 10 Hida express a day
and in general Friday night to Saturday morning is the busiest time. Other than
that time frame, you are likely to be able to reserve seat when do it a few days before.
You can check the availability through Cyberstation.

http://www.jr.cyberstation.ne.jp

Note that Cyberstation works one month before since the JR reservation is
open one month before.

I am afraid JR Central (which operates Hida express) does not accept online
reservation from abroad, so even if you buy the normal ticket, you can't reserve
the seat for Hida express. At the worst case you can queue in the platform for
the unreserved seat of Hida express.

Re: check hokuriku area tourist pass pay off? 2018/5/10 17:27
Alternatively you can use Three Star Route Ticket.

http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/ticket/pdf/panf701[1].pdf

As you see this ticket is for the bus route from Shinjuku to Matsumoto to Takayama to
Shirakawago to Kanazawa. You must go back to Tokyo (Shinjuku) but the total cost
will be somewhat cheaper. I think you can reserve seat by telephone. As far as I read
from the PDF, you call the bus company and reserve the seat (using Three Star Route
Ticket) and will be given a reservation number and then go to the ticket office of Shinjuku
and pay for the ticket. It seems very old-fashoned.

reply to this thread