Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Magome-Tsumago-Takayama-Shirawago-Kanazawa 2018/5/8 20:29
Hi, I've been contemplated my visit to this area of Japan (I'm starting out in Tokyo for the first 4 nights and ending my journey with about 4 nights in Kyoto with Kinosaki and Osaka and Mount Koya somewhere between).

My questions is lies with these other 4-5 places as I'm having a hard time decided what is the best way of doing it. This is what I'm leaning toward and would really appreciate any feedback from anyone on this thread:

Travel from Tokyo to Magome (spend the night), walk the Nakasendo Trail to Tsumago the next morning and spend some time there having lunch and walking around before taking a train to Takayama (spend the night), next day rent a car for the day (can I rent a car in Takayama?), and travel through Shirakawago on my way to Kanazawa, where I would return the car and spend the night in Kanazawa (have dinner, walk around the geisha district, etc.) , the next morning visit the gardens then take the train to Osaka to continue my travels. Is all this possible in the timeline I'm considering?

All feedback appreciated!!!!
by adrianadb  

Re: Magome-Tsumago-Takayama-Shirawago-Kanazawa 2018/5/9 11:43
Hi, you could do that (I'd take the bus from Takayama to Shirakawa to Kanazawa rather than driving) or you could go Tokyo - Kanazawa - Shirakawa - Takayama - Tsumago - Osaka which is much of the same but leaves a longer trip at the end. See if you can squeeze Hikone in as well (just off Maibara, so you should be going pretty close in your last leg). It is an awesome little town on Lake Biwa with a great castle and nice gardens.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Magome-Tsumago-Takayama-Shirawago-Kanazawa 2018/5/10 02:50
Thanks so much, why exactly does it leave a longer trip at the end for me???
by adrianadb rate this post as useful

Re: Magome-Tsumago-Takayama-Shirawago-Kanazawa 2018/5/10 05:02
I just looked at the times quickly on hyperdia and it looked to me that Narai (Tsumago) to Osaka was around 4 hours with lots of connections whereas Kanazawa to Osaka was 3. But if you decided to stay at Hikone, you could go Narai (which I always use because I cant spell the other station close by) to Hikone then Hikone to Osaka.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread