Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/11 16:40
Hello. I am visiting Japan next week with my husband and kid. We plan to leave for Kawaguchiko early morning on 19th May
We will stay there for a night and leave for Nagoya late afternoon on 20th May
We intend to do the pleasure boat, kachi kachi ropeway, if possible wind cave, walk around the lake, some view points and visit Shibazakura. I am still unable to workout which combo ticket would be the best option and how to travel to and fro. Please suggest a travel plan. We have JR pass. Do I have to come back to Tokyo to travel to Nagoya? Many thanks in advance.
by Kalyanikol  

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/11 19:30
Can take the bus to Mishima and connect to the Shinkansen as is usual.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/11 19:41
Can you please elaborate?
by Kalyanikol rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/11 20:03
How do you plan to get from Tokyo to Kawaguchiko? By direct bus from Shinjuku or by using your JR pass to get from Tokyo or Shinagawa Stations to Mishima then bus from Mishima Station to Kawaguchiko?

review this page for more information

https://www.japan-guide.com/bus/gotemba.html

The slow Kodama Shinkansen stop at Mishima Station.

You can take a bus from Shinjuku to Lake Kawaguchiko and on your departure day take the bus from Kawguchiko station to Mishima station to take the Shinkansen to Nagoya.

check hyperdia website for train timetables to select one that suits you.

Enjoy your trip
by Cana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/11 20:31
Thank you for the information. Very helpful indeed! I was wondering is Fujisan Fujigoko Passport or Fujigoko Enjoy ticket would be of use to me? The first option would cover train travel between Kawaguchiko and Otsuki. Until Otsuki JR pass is valid (I think). Or should I stick to bus option from Tokyo and to Mishima on day 2?

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/11 21:48
Is there any pass that covers bus travel from Shinjuku and to Mishima?

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/11 22:50
I donft know about the passes you mentioned so I canft advise you on whatfs the best option.

Ifm not aware of a pass that covers the bus from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko.

We were planning to purchase the 3-day Fuji Hakone pass from Odawara if we went to Kawaguchiko but we changed our plans and just stuck to Hakone because of bad weather.

So maybe someone else can provide better advice in this field.

But whatever you decide to do allow yourself enough time for bus travel to catch your Shinkansen either from Mishima or Otsuki.

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/11 22:56
Correction and clarification:

In regards a pass to cover travel between Shinjuku to Mishima.. I only know of the 3-Day Fuji Hakone pass but that would be too expensive for what you plan to do as it covers a bigger area than what you intend to travel to but maybe there is a pass that just covers that specific area.. hopefully someone else can provide you with more information

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/11 22:57
Shinkansen from Otsuki? You have to first go to Shin-Yokohama, which takes 90 minutes at best.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/11 23:08
These are the passes I was talking about

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/12 00:53
You might want to consider renting a car. That's what I did last year for visiting Kawaguchiko. We were a group of four and it probably saved us money, in addition to giving us more flexibility. We took a train to Otsuki with our JR passes and rented a car there for the day. I was a bit concerned with driving on the "wrong" side of the road and with not being able to understand the road signs, but everything went very smoothly. Just make sure you get an international driver's licence before leaving for Japan if you choose this option.
by mafepero rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/12 02:23
Thanks mafepero. But travel date is 16th May
And not keen on driving.
I was thinking of
1)Tokyo to Kawaguchi
Either by highway express bus \1750
Or train from otsuki \1150
https://www.mtfujiropeway.jp/en/guide/
This has one way ropeway plus otsuki -kawaguchiko train ticket for \1390.
Anyone know about this??
2) Kawaguchiko to Nagoya
Best I could find is bus up to Gotemba \1510 and use JR pass from Gotemba to Nagoya.
Please suggest what to do?

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/12 02:53
I strongly recommend you to buy JR Tokyo wide pass=10000 yen,unlimited travel For 3 Days.So my Base is still Tokyo but in the morning I will go kawaguchiko and explore Fujisan For 3 days.
by Roy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/12 07:18
Get the bus to Mishima Station as earlier suggested. The info is in the Fuji 5 lakes section of this website.

dont get a pass the covers travel to and from Kawaguchiko. Just get one way tickets and get the local retro bus passes for the Fuji 5 Lakes area. Again these local bus passes explained in the Fuji 5 Lakes section of this website.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/12 11:40
Thank you so much hakata14 and Roy. I do agree with hakata14, the pass won't be of much use to me. Also individual tickets seems to be sensible option.

I do, however, am tempted by Otsuki-Kawaguchiko train option for my onward journey since it is cheaper than bus and does not seem so much of a hassle. Hyperdia shows a Holiday rapid Fujisan 1 train from Shinjuku at 8:14 am bound for Otsuki. This train will continue to Kawaguchiko. So I don't have to get off it. Added fare shown is \1140.

Also, on the return leg, buses bound for Gotemba are more frequent, take lesser time and cost less as compared to Mishima. So any particular reason why I should still take Bus to Mishima?

There is a combo pass for retro bus, ropeway and pleasure boat on the website link I sent earlier for \2600. That seems good as well. If I am anyway getting the pass what else can I do during the 2 days?

Also the Shibazakura liner is not covered in this pass, I understand. Any of the retrobuses go to the festival or do I get an additional liner ticket?

http://www.shibazakura.jp/sp/eng/access/

Thank you once again for all the help. Please review the plan and let me know if it sounds alright.

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/12 15:09
Also, on the return leg, buses bound for Gotemba are more frequent, take lesser time and cost less as compared to Mishima. So any particular reason why I should still take Bus to Mishima?

Because the Shinkansens only stop in Mishima not Gotemba. You'll have to take several local trains and change in at least one station to reach Mishima to take the Shinkansen. So taking the bus directly to Mishima is much easier.

Re: Tokyo-Kawaguchiko-Nagoya travel 2018/5/12 17:54
Got it. Many thanks once again :)
Any input about access to the Shibazakura festival? Shibazakura liner is the only option, right?

reply to this thread