Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking from Ena to Nakatsugawa 2018/5/13 22:49
Hi - we are doing parts of the Nakasendo trail in late June, and will start in Ena. But I can't find details of any trail from Ena to Nakatsugawa (it is about 10-11 km). Is it just along roads, or is there a hiking path. Thanks!
by swiss hiker (guest)  

Re: Hiking from Ena to Nakatsugawa 2018/5/14 20:16
This section is along roads. Is there a reason why you are starting in Ena? The section before that (assuming you are heading in the direction of Tokyo) from Mitake to Ena is one of my favourite parts of the Nakasendo. It too is mostly on roads but very quiet roads.

And here is a map of the section you mentioned:
https://www.jinriki.info/kaidolist/nakasendo/nakatsugawa_oi/
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking from Ena to Nakatsugawa 2018/5/15 00:43
Dear Walking fool - thank you very much for that information. I have been browsing your blog, to get some guidance. I am an avid hiker, but we have a retired woman with us (my mother in law) - who is a good hiker but I want to be careful.

I am leaning to train from Kyoto to Mikate (lots of changes) and then hike from Mitake to Hosokute. But can we get a taxi or something from Hosokute down to the Chuo line to get to Ena or Nakatsugawa for our nights accommodation. I am pretty sure there is no train...

Our next day is from Nakatsugawa to just before Tsumago... so relatively long.

Thanks for any information you might have!
by swiss hiker (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking from Ena to Nakatsugawa 2018/5/15 11:05
Walkingfool, Swiss hiker,

Sorry to butt in, but Walkingfool may have answers for me.

We will arrive in Narai via Matsumoto, ending in Nagoya. Considering the following:

Torii Pass-Narai to Yabuhara, I can access a good map, is this accurate? "6.2 km, 3 hours (270 metres ascent, 344 metres descent)"

Nenouetouge Pass/Yogawa Way. We will start in Tsumago, " transfer to Nojiri ,short taxi ride to the Nenoue-Toge pass, 9 miles 1,129 feet ascent; 2,275 feet descent 4.5 hours ". I cannot find a map on this section. (We do not mind backtracking)

FYI, spending 2 nights in Tsumago.

Thanks, PH

by papayahead rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking from Ena to Nakatsugawa 2018/5/15 20:39
Swiss hiker:
To be honest Ifm not sure about the availability of taxis at Hosokute. You would probably have to get one to come from a larger town. The people at the Daikokuya ryokan could probably organise it for you.

Papayahead:
Ifm traveling at the moment and donft have access to all my resources, but the info on the Torii Pass sounds about right. Ifm not familiar with the other pass you mentioned. But a little googling revealed this info:
gNojiri to Nagiso apparently has two routes; 1) the route along the river via Junikane (\) which often got flooded in the old days (but now whizzed passed by JR Chuo Line train), 2) the so-called Yogawa-michi ^쓹 path (the one that you are referring to) which goes via Nenoue Pass (㓻) which was constructed to divert the often flooding areas .h

I have only walked the former route so canft comment on the pass.
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking from Ena to Nakatsugawa 2018/5/16 01:01
WF-thanks

Extensive google searching has pulled up very little about Nenue pass, but it is a section advertised by a couple arranged travel companies, and highly touted by a couple of travelers. (I've found information, but in Japanese)

Happy travels! PH

by papayahead rate this post as useful

reply to this thread