Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary check 2018/5/23 03:45
Hi,

we are visiting Japan at the end of October the first time. We are staying 16 nights, arriving and departing from Haneda, Tokyo. Inside Japan we want to travel mainly with Trains and Buses.

Our itinerary so far:

Tokyo, 4 nights: (Maranouchi-Hotel)
Fuji-area
Nikko

Takayama, 2 nights: (Asunaro Ryokan)
Old Town
Higashiyama Walk
Onsen

Kamikochi, 2 nights: (Kamikochi Onsen Spa)
Kappabashi
Mt. Yakedake (?)

Kiso-valley, Tsumag, 1 night: (Fujioto Ryokan)
Magome-Tsumago Hiking Trail

Kyoto, 5 nights: (1 night at Hiiragiya Ryokan, 4 nights at Celestine Kyoto Gion)

Hiroshima/Miyajima, 1 night
Okunoshima, Miyajima
Accomodation suggestions highly appreciated!

Layover: Himeji

Osaka, 1 night: (1 night at Marriott Miyako)

Back to Tokyo

Questions:

- Would you choose a different route?
- Would you skip Tsumago and add the night in Osaka/...?
- Are two nights in Takayama fine?
- Are 5 nights in total "too much" for Kyoto? From what I have read so far, I donLt think so

Sincerely
by alpri  

Re: Itinerary check 2018/5/23 14:46
Plan a day trip to Nara while in Kyoto, you have plenty of time there; and when in Kamikochi, make sure to plan a nice hike, the Kapabashi area is, IMO, not a sight to plan for, just the collection of unavoidable souvenir shops you find so often in Japan around a picturesque bridge that you'll visit on your way from the bus station. :-)
Personally, I would stay longer in Kamikochi and skip Osaka.
by J (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check 2018/5/24 15:46
Yeah thatfs true, so for hiking around Kamikochi we thought about Mt. Yakedake.

I have heard that the nightlife and food is really nice at Osaka, so we added it to our travel plans...

Any other comments?
by alpri rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check 2018/5/24 18:22
Hello!
I feel the schedule is too hard...

if you want to enjoy tokyo too,the schedule may be better.
but if you will visit only Nikko and Fuji area,
I think you should stay Nikko and Fuji area.
by karinnkarinn rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check 2018/5/24 19:29
Thanks for your answer.
Well, from what I have read so far, Nikko and the Fuji area can be done easily as a full day trip from Tokyo. Of course, when doing so, there is less time in Tokyo itself. And we can also enjoy Tokyo after coming back from the day trips? Donft you think?

Sincerely
Alex

Re: Itinerary check 2018/5/24 19:34
I agree with the comments of visiting Nara while in Kyoto. Not sure how strongly you feel about going to Hiroshima as it's a fair distance for one night.

Most seems doable
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check 2018/5/24 20:07
About Hiroshima:
Well, i must admit, Hiroshima isnft the number one place Ifm looking forward to visit.

I thought about doing it as a day trip from Kyoto, but my girlfriend wants to see Okunoshima island also. And i think Okunoshima is nearly a full day trip from Hiroshima.

But if doing Hiroshima as a daytrip with Kyoto as a base, our travels to Osaka would also be more relaxed...

Sincerely

Re: Itinerary check 2018/5/25 08:23
One night in Hiroshima is good. You cannot do Hiroshina city sights and Miyajima in one day without omiting sights and rushing. Let alone adding Himeji as a stopover etc.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread