Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Setouchi Triennale 2019: Crowds, Transport 2018/5/27 20:28
Hi All,

At the moment I am getting close to the end of my main journeys around Japan and I wanted some info on peoples ideas around the Setouchi Triennale.

I've already visited Naoshima, Teshima and Inujima and enjoyed what these islands had to offer. I also like the slower pace of life that I've noticed currently travelling through Okinawa and the Amami islands.

My main question is how busy does this triennale get and does it get to a point where you can't even get on or off the islands due to the traffic?

Any info (apart from the main website which I'm already aware of) or personal experience of this festival from previous experiences would be highly appreciated.....
by mfedley  

Re: Setouchi Triennale 2019: Crowds, Transport 2018/5/28 18:39
Okay, this is totally not replying to your question. But have you ever been to the Triennale in Echigo in Niigata prefecture?

http://mb.echigo-tsumari.jp/eng/triennale2018/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2F...

It is on this year (and werenft you planning a visit to Tohoku/Sanriku anyway?

I went 3 yrs ago on the last weekend. We hired a car to get around easier. Hotel reservation was a bit hard (but I only looked a few days before going and still found a basic Ryokan in Tokamachi). But apart from that crowds were not a problem and the festival was very nice.

Not all art work is great (imho) but the location is great. You could easily spend there 3 days or more.

Hope you have the chance.

And hope someone else can reply to your question as such.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Setouchi Triennale 2019: Crowds, Transport 2018/5/28 19:07
Hi LikeBike,

Unfortunately it does not start until I'm back at work. One of the great things about being a teacher is the large amount of holidays compared to other people, but I can't choose when I go on holidays....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Setouchi Triennale 2019: Crowds, Transport 2018/5/28 19:23
Ifve been to Naoshima a few times - twice in trienniale years.

It has been noticeably busier.
Not so busy that you canft get there, but larger queues for the arthouses, more difficult to make bookings for hotels or the art things that need bookings. If I had a choice, I would avoid these periods because Naoshima is more pleasant to visit in the other times and there isnft really anything extra going on in trienniale apart from more visitors.

Ifve also been to the Echigo Yuzawa art sites once, but not in festival time. If I were to go there again I would choose to go in festival time because several of the countryside installations arenft open at other times, or else are only open very irregularly. Definitely need a car there, but itfs lovely and there are onsen ryokan to stay in.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Setouchi Triennale 2019: Crowds, Transport 2018/5/28 20:31

"ART SETOUCHI"
Visited only Naoshima a few years ago. Yes, queues were longer in some of the arthouses, but nothing "discouraging" or "off-putting" at all. These things are to be expected when the visitor numbers increase.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Setouchi Triennale 2019: Crowds, Transport 2018/5/28 21:10
Thanks for the update. I'm considering visiting most/all of the islands over a couple of weeks in the summer 2019 season. I won't make up my mind until Jan 2019 though as that's roughly the time when accommodation is available.

Re: Setouchi Triennale 2019: Crowds, Transport 2018/5/29 08:46
I live here (not on the islands, but in Kagawa), I've been to the islands countless times.

During the Triennale, the islands are busier, but not too busy on week-days. On week-ends, it may depend.

On the busiest days, you may want to arrive early to be able to get on the smaller boats. Also, arrive early enough to return to land, especially if you take the last boat.

Lines for the artworks may vary.

Next year, the Spring session will coincide with Golden Week. I assume those days will be pretty insane (a regular Golden Week day on an island is actually busier than a regular Triennale day. Both combined may be hell)

The good news is that as you've already visited Naoshima, you won't need to return there. It's kinda pointless to go to Naoshima during the Triennale if one has already been (except for financial reasons). The art is pretty much the same (maybe one new thing, two at most), just with more people.

Inujima doesn't much new art either.

Teshima does get new art for every Triennale, most of it permanent, not all.

It's on all of the other islands that the fun happens (the ones tourists are usually unaware of). All the regular art is open every day instead of week-ends only and it has tons of new art and events, most of them temporary.

If you need more advice or information, do not hesitate.
Also, know that I run a blog which has a lot of content dedicated to Art Setouchi. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to publicize it here, but just google my log in and you should find it.
by DavidSetouchiExplorer rate this post as useful

Re: Setouchi Triennale 2019: Crowds, Transport 2018/5/29 11:23
Thanks David for the info.

You comment on visiting the smaller/less visited islands was actually my intention. Naoshima is nice but it can also be a money pit as well. You can post links here or can use the PM function.

reply to this thread