Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary honeymoon December 2018/5/31 09:15
Hi I am building a honeymoon itinerary and am wondering if this itinerary would work. We will be travelling in the first week of December. I do realize that time spent in Tokyo and Kyoto is short but we will be going back to Japan again for a week next year. My partner and I love food , scenery and relaxation.

Sunday Day 1 arrive Haneda airport 5 or 6am arrival
Go to Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park from airport via Nagano
Go to Kusatsu Onsen via Nagano and Karuizawa
Stay at Kusatsu Onsen

Is there somewhere to store luggage at Nagano station?

Monday Day 2 Kusatsu Onsen
Head to Tokyo
Tokyo station area (ramen) , Maranouchi illuminations if time permits

Tuesday Day 3 Tokyo
Tsukiji fish market (outer market)
Sensoji temple and surrounding streets
Akihabara
Omotesando area
Cat street
Walk around Shibuya
Rikugien illuminations (if running and time permits)

Wednesday Day 4
Stroll around Jiyugoaka or Shimokitazawa (if time permits in the morning)
Yokohama cup noodle museum
Ramen museum
Christmas markets in Yokohama
Head back to Tokyo

Thursday Day 5
Snoopy museum
Yanaka ginza or Togoshi Ginza street food
Midtown illuminations
Ebisu or Shinjuku at night

Friday Day 6
Hakone
Open air museum
Hakone shrine
Stay overnight

Saturday Day 7
Hakone to Kyoto
Afternoon- check out some temples but this is still to be decided ,if time permits I was thinking to include Arashiyama
Gion in the evening

Sunday Day 8
Fushimi Shrine in the morning
Nara in the afternoon

Monday Day 9
Nishiki market
Osaka aquarium if time will permit?
Osaka Dontonborri
Depart Osaka (flight will be 11pm at night)
by JT (guest)  

Re: Itinerary honeymoon Dec 2018/6/2 20:56
Is there somewhere to store luggage at Nagano station?

There are coin lockers and a luggage cloak (9:00 to 20:00)
Yamato Un-yu Midori Nagano station depot center
http://www.eki-midori.com/nagano/shop-list/shop/yamato/

Saturday Day 7 to Monday Day 9

So you will have 1 full day and 2 half days in Kyoto. You are planning to visit Arashiyama, Gion, Fushimi Inari and Nishiki market (and Nara).

As a former resident of Kyoto, I think you will visit the most crowded and touristic places (Arashiyama might be less crowded, depending on the specific places). Specifically Gion and Nishiki are just shopping place. You might better consider some less crowded places like Nanzenji, Eikando, Murin-an etc (these are in the Higashiyama district).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary honeymoon Dec 2018/6/3 08:18
Hi frog,
Thank you for your reply. We are interested in the food at Nishiki market because we like trying lots of different things. Is there an alternative?

We will be visiting Kyoto the end of the first week of December (8-10th), i was wondering what temples might be nice in this time. I think most autumn foliage will be finished?

Thank you,

JT
by JT (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary honeymoon Dec 2018/6/3 09:50
Hi JT,

We are interested in the food at Nishiki market because we like trying lots of different things. Is there an alternative?

As a Japanese, I don't think "street food" thing is traditional Japanese food culture. Yes it became popular for recent years, perhaps due to increasing tourism from abroad and I don't deny it, but still I want foreign tourists to enjoy traditional Japanese food culture first. Nishiki market by itself was a local market where chefs of the restaurants and local people buy fish, vegetables etc., but today it seems to be a food street for tourists. If you like it, it's OK, but please note that this is not traditional. There are some other more traditional markets in Kyoto and Osaka such as Demachi Masugata market in Kyoto

http://masugata.demachi.jp

and Tenjinbashisuji market.

https://osaka-info.jp/page/tenjimbashisuji-shopping-street-1

We will be visiting Kyoto the end of the first week of December (8-10th), i was wondering what temples might be nice in this time. I think most autumn foliage will be finished?

Yes, probably autumn foliage should be gone, but also crowds should be gone :), so you will enjoy less crowded temples. Kiyomizudera, Todaiji, Shoren-in, Chion-in, Nanzenji and Eikando makes continuous area called Higashiyama district. There are some non-temple gardens such as Murin-an and Shin-en in Heian shrine. I think this area is the best of best in Kyoto.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary honeymoon December 2018/6/4 06:01
Thank you Frog!
This information has been so useful, I really like to include less touristy things on my travel. :)
by JT (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread