Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does JPR cover Kyoto-Nachi (Kiikatsuura)? 2018/6/8 06:43
Does JPR cover Kyoto-Nachi (KIIKATSUURA) taking a LTD. EXP KUROSHIO or Ltd. Exp. (Wide View) Nanki?

I've checked Hyperdia and it appears that you can do Kyoto-Nachi in 4 hours by taking the LTD. EXP KUROSHIO or Ltd. Exp. (Wide View) Nanki.

However, if you choose only the railways owned by JR the trip time increases to 7 hours.

So, is it possible to do the first option (4 hours) with the Japan Rail Pass and without paying any extra?

Thank you in advance!
by alvarospain  

Re: Does JPR cover Kyoto-Nachi (Kiikatsuura)? 2018/6/8 10:39
If the train icons are either green or white, then the Japan Rail pass will work, provided you donft use the Nozomi service.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Does JPR cover Kyoto-Nachi (Kiikatsuura)? 2018/6/8 11:22

Does JPR cover Kyoto-Nachi (KIIKATSUURA) taking a LTD. EXP KUROSHIO or Ltd. Exp.

Yes, no problem. You have several options of choosing the changeover stations. I used the pass travelling the opposite direction, took more than 4 hours.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does JPR cover Kyoto-Nachi (Kiikatsuura)? 2018/6/8 11:48
I've checked Hyperdia and it appears that you can do Kyoto-Nachi in 4 hours by taking the LTD. EXP KUROSHIO or Ltd. Exp. (Wide View) Nanki.

However, if you choose only the railways owned by JR the trip time increases to 7 hours.

Really?

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KYOTO&arv_node=...

It takes about 260-280 min by JR pass.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Does JPR cover Kyoto-Nachi (Kiikatsuura)? 2018/6/8 11:49
I would think it would depend on what time you are putting in for your departure time?

I have been putting in some morning times (9:30 am onwards) and I am getting around 280 minutes from Kyoto to Kii-Katsuura, all on JR and all covered by the pass. I've taken the Kuroshio between Tanabe and Shin-Osaka/Kyoto many many many times. I use to have a JET friend in Tanabe and a JET friend in Kainan.

The Ltd Express Nanki, is run by JR Central, but spends some time on non-JR tracks on the Ise line so as a passholder you would need to pay a small supplement of ~ 820 yen. There are only 3 of these trains a day and it is nearly 4 hours alone between Nagoya and Kii-Katsuura so I am not sure how that can be dropped to 4 hours from Kyoto.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Does JPR cover Kyoto-Nachi (Kiikatsuura)? 2018/6/8 12:01
You can drop the trip to 4 hours from Shin-Osaka to Kii-Katsuura if you pick one of the 6 Kuroshio that end in Kii-Katsuura, but there is really not a way to drop the time from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto to under 20 minutes outside using a Nozomi which the JR Pass is not valid for. And unless you know Shin-Osaka well, you are probably better off transferring from a Limited Express or even Special Rapid to the Kuroshio as from what I remember the Hikaris don't tend to be timed well with the Kuroshio. I seem to remember frequently having a 3 minute transfer or being stuck in Shin-Osaka for 30-40 minutes when using shinkansen in the past. Now, I had no bags and knew exactly where I was going, but for most people that 3 minute transfer would have been impossible.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Does JRP cover Kyoto - Nachi (Kiikatsuura)? 2018/6/8 13:54
Does your "Nachi" refer to Nachi Station?
Limited Express trains skip Nachi Station.

John B digs Japan:

provided you donft use the Nozomi service.

Neither the Mizuho service.

If the train icons are either green or white, then the Japan Rail pass will work,....

Actually that is not always true.

HyperDia regards JR - non-JR through trains as JR trains,
even for the non-JR section.

As rkold says,
Limited Express (Wide View) Nanki trains,
on their way between Nagoya and Kii-Katsuura,
goes for a non-JR section.
This section
is the whole line which is operated by Ise Tetsudo Railway,
a non-JR company.

HyperDia, despite this non-JR section,
regards these trains as JR trains and show them by a green icon.

This section is not among the non-JR sections
where Japan Rail Pass can be exceptionally valid.
Japan Rail Pass travelers,
when they take a (Wide View) Nanki through this section,
pay additionally 820 yen
(= 510 as a basic fare
plus 310 yen as a Limited Express surcharge).
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread