Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheap car rental in Hokkaido 2018/6/12 12:54
Just a call out to any travellers out there who may have rented a car to go around Hokkaido in. Please could you share with me any recommendations of Rent-A-Car agencies which are cheap and good service, or even ones to steer clear of. Ideally I would like to rent a car around 10 days to travel around Hokkaido this October. I found a website which listed and compared various car rental comparies and I was surprised how cheap the cheapest one was; only US$40 a day for a 2 week period. But on closer research it seems this website (rentalcars.com) is not reliable or honest and has received quite a number of negative feedback. When I checked some other booking websites like Tocoo and Expedia, the cheapest was around $57 a day, which seemed to be more realistic. However if any of you out know of an even cheaper agency, or good booking website, please share with me. Thanking you
by Robert B (guest)  

Re: Cheap car rental in Hokkaido 2018/6/12 19:29
We typically go with the cheapest rental car offered by Rakuten that has a pick up and drop off point at a convenient location (close to the station or airport we arrive at or depart from); never had a problem, always a decent car.
Just make sure you have an international driver's license of the right type (1949 Geneva Convention) as they do insist on those :-)
by Kappa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap car rental in Hokkaido 2018/6/12 20:18

Nissan Car Rental Asahikawa Ekimae Store
日産レンタカー旭川駅前店

I highly recommend the above store, the manager speaks English well, and very friendly.
Booked online with https://www2.tocoo.jp/en/ last year, as they had a good promotion for a fortnight.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap car rental in Hokkaido 2018/6/12 21:49
I also recommend Nissan, one of the few companies to offer full protection.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap car rental in Hokkaido 2018/6/14 15:39
I've used a variety of places, depending on what special is running. I tend to rent the most from Mazda, Budget, and Tocoo online at https://www2.tocoo.jp/en/. The last few rentals my IDP was never even looked at (nor my license-maybe I look trustworthy).
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap car rental in Hokkaido 2018/6/14 16:01
I haven't rented a car in Hokkaido for years, and I'm a resident in Japan, but I always keep in mind that there are also discounts like Eki Rent-a-car where you get a discount for both JR tickets and the car. There are other discounts like package tours that include flight and car. Also, each rent-a-car company gives you discount for its members.

I've never had a problem renting any cheap car from any company in Japan, and I've never been charged more than the price they gave me upon reservation, but I can read, write and speak Japanese. By the way, you are to fill up the car when returning it, and upon renting, each company will give you a map of the nearest gas station.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap car rental in Hokkaido 2018/6/14 18:02
Thanks all for the information you've shared so far...very useful and appreciated
by Robert B (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread