Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

First visit itinerary 2018/6/19 21:18
Hello, my partner and I are travelling from Sydney to Japan for the first time in November.
We are thinking of flying in and out of Tokyo. Our itinerary at the moment looks like this:
Fly into Tokyo -- straight to Osaka
4 days Osaka (day trip to Nara; one day Universal Studios; day trip Hiroshima)
4 days Kyoto (welcome day trip suggestions?)
6/7 days Tokyo (Day trip to Hakone, Day trip to Jigokudani, 1 day Disneyland)

We are wondering whether we should add any other destinations to our trip - we are open to extending the trip.

Thanks in advance,
Gabi
by Jabrielle  

Re: First visit itinerary 2018/6/20 17:00
Any reason why you don't fly into KIX and fly out of Tokyo? You could probably save a lot of money and time if you eliminate an entire shinkansen journey from Tokyo to Osaka.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: First visit itinerary 2018/6/20 17:32
Any reason why you don't fly into KIX and fly out of Tokyo? You could probably save a lot of money and time if you eliminate an entire shinkansen journey from Tokyo to Osaka.

I agree. For many people, Tokyo and Kyoto (and Kansai) area are two major tourist place where they want to stay long (the OP said Kansai for 8 days and Tokyo for 6/7 days). On the other hand there is JR pass by which you can travel rather economically. Many people like to "hop around" Japan, like Tohoku area, Nagano prefecture, Takayama, Shirakawago, Hiroshima and Miyajima. As for the OP, you can start (using JR pass) from Tokyo to Nagano (Jigokudani), then Kanazawa, Shirakawago, Takayama, Himeji (castle) Hiroshima, Miyajima and then Osaka. This can be done in 7 days so you only need Japan Rail Pass 7 days, 29,110 yen. Of course you can do it on the other direction.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html

Further, November is autumn foliage season, and the best time should be last 10 days of November. You should consider where to stay in these 10 days. In general Kyoto is best, but the hotel rate is rather expensive. If you are "hostel" type persons, then there should be no problem. The hostel rate does not change drastically during the high season (around 3000 yen per person) though you should book early. If you want decent room with bath, then you may encounter difficulty in finding affordable one in Kyoto in late November.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: First visit itinerary 2018/6/21 01:33
I'm a little jealous. The first trip to Japan is always something special. I have so many vivid memories from my first time. From the moments panic I felt in arrivals when I couldnt read any of the signs, to going for a walk on the first morning & stumbling into Sensoji as a festival was starting, to hearing Joy Division being played as background music at Kyoto station. etc etc. Moving on to your trip. While your itinerary is fine I would probably do the following.

I would probably take a day or two in Tokyo to get over the flight and get your bearings as Japan can be overwhelming. I would then base myself in either Osaka OR Kyoto and travel from one to the other as they are very close. Taking maybe 6 days between the two with your planed trips to Nara & Universal. Then two days in Hiroshima & then back to Tokyo for the remainder of the holiday. You should consider a trip to Nikko from Tokyo although I didn't like it much.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: First visit itinerary 2018/6/21 02:30
you can start (using JR pass) from Tokyo to Nagano (Jigokudani), then Kanazawa, Shirakawago, Takayama, Himeji (castle) Hiroshima, Miyajima and then Osaka.
This can be done in 7 days so you only need Japan Rail Pass 7 days, 29,110 yen.

You should pay in addition for your bus rides
to and from Jigokudani (in Nagano Prefecture) and Shirakawa-go (in Gifu Prefecture),
because they are not covered by Japan Rail Pass.
(There are some places called "Jigokudani" in Japan.)

Jabrielle:
travelling from Sydney to Japan for the first time in November.

What are exact dates of your days in Japan?

Generally November is a good tourist season in Japan,
thanks to the autumnal foliage and the tendency toward pleasant weathers;
some popular sightseeing spots may be crowded in the weekend.
(It sounds better to plan to visit the two theme parks on weekdays.)

The 23rd of November is a national holiday.
In November 2018, this day is a Friday,
which practically extends that weekend.

day trip Hiroshima

When you hope to explore
both Hiroshima City and Miyajima Island (in Hiroshima Prefecture),
I recommend you stay for at least one night.

Kyoto (welcome day trip suggestions?)

How are your interests and preferences?
Are you good walkers?

Among destinations which can be visited in a day trip from Kyoto City are
Amanohashidate,
Kinosaki Onsen (hot spring town),
Himeji Castle and nearby Koko-en garden,
Kobe City: Meriken Park, Mount Rokko, Kitano, Chinatown, etc.
and Hikone Castle.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: First visit itinerary 2018/6/21 06:24
Unless you arrive early in the morning. I wouldn't go straight to Osaka. I'd do an overnighter so you aren't rushing. Or do you first 3 days in Tokyo, and you last 3 days (of your trip on Tokyo).

You don't really have a need to have a hotel in Osaka if Universal Studios is the only location you are visiting. Nara is the same distance from either Kyoto or Osaka.

I would do a overnighter at Hiroshima also. Attempting to do Hiroshima and Miyajima in the one day is an injustice to them.

So potentially you could do Tokyo 3 nights, Kyoto 6 nights, Hiroshima 1 night, Tokyo 4 nights.

Or if you don't wanna do Hiroshima to Tokyo in one trip, then Tokyo 3 nights, Kyoto 5 nights, Hiroshima 1 night, Osaka 2 nights (so easy one full day for studios), Tokyo 3 nights.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread