Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/27 00:32
Ok, so my wife never told me until now that a type of police officer known as an omarisan came to her apartment where she lives with her mother to verify if the same people are still living there.

Her mother told the omawarisan that I'm no longer living there with them. I know that immigration will sometimes do checks like this but this was different I guess?

My wife assured me that the police were not specifically checking up on me but verifying all the people living there at that address. She mentioned the police always do annual visits to verify the people in each household in case of natural/man made disasters occur.

Now would this type of police check cause issues with my permanent residence application?

Would the local omawarisan contact immigration about me not living there?
by blondesurferboy  

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/27 10:36
no it has nothing to do with immigration.

i never had of police going house to house checking on people..
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/27 11:19
Not notifying an address change to immigration is illegal, and you have given him probable cause to suspect you have committed it, so he would be well within his right to notify them.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/27 15:02
Now would this type of police check cause issues with my permanent residence application?
Dont worry. Police and immigration are different departments. Police never inform immigration unless there is some serious thing happened. Immigration never use police for verification. Police give residential visit sometimes. I was also living near my wife`s home where I was working. I called police at mid-night to seek some help. They just noted my name. Thats all.
by guest55 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/27 15:24
@Firas I understand but my situation is super complicated as mentioned in earlier posts.

My wife's father passed away and her mother is retired and is in bad condition, so my wife wants to live with her to help her out with daily things.

I want to live with them but her mother misunderstood an argument and kicked me out of her apartment forever.

I live really nearby though. I'm hoping my situation changes because if I get permanent residence, I plan to divorce and then finally live anywhere I want.

PS Sorry to hear about your health condition from the other post.
by blondesurferboy rate this post as useful

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/28 10:34
I live really nearby though. I'm hoping my situation changes because if I get permanent residence, I plan to divorce and then finally live anywhere I want.

Always smart to put things like this on the internet.

Secondly still your permanent resident can still be revoked if immigration found out your situation and that you are not have the right intentions.
Applying for a permanent resident you can also have background check etc.
Your thinking that you will be fine after you got permanent resident is wrong.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/28 12:46
"Omawarisan" is just a friendly name referring to police officers in local "koban."

In our area they don't come annually, but they do come once in a while (usually) to rented apartment units to see who live where. This is somewhat of a routine, and I'd say it has nothing to do with immigration.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/28 19:37
@justmyday Yes, I know that it isn't smart to post this information online but I just felt that I needed to ask to reach out to people on here that might be in the same situation or that might be able to put my mind at least by verifying that it isn't something to worry about.

I agree that I should be a little more discreet, but I live in the countryside not Tokyo. There aren't many other foreigners here to reach out to in the real world that would actually know anything about my situation. They surely don't offer any useful information as I have asked various foreigners living here questions that they didn't know the answer to.

Of course, I know that my problems don't go away in the case where I obtain permanent residence. My point is that I plan to get divorced not long after that, so living separately would be no problem only after a successful divorce.

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/28 22:03
to put my mind at ease*

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/29 08:38
If you change to permanent resident you need to live together. That is the idea of a spouse visa. I do not know if you live together or not or what your current situation is but you should indeed think more carefully.

I really do not care if your application will be refused or your status will be revoked on a later status. It is your life and do what you think is best.

I really wonder your age and why you put your post as it seems you do not care about anything so far.

anyway my tip is do not make it difficult for yourself, because before you know you are banned.

good luck with all

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/29 11:39
@justmyday Actually, I would not be required to live with my wife once I have permanent residence and have signed divorce papers with her.

This is because a foreigner with permanent residence in Japan keeps their long-term even if they should get divorced.

Of course if I got divorced while on a Spouse of Japanese National visa, I would lose this status and no longer be able to work and live legally in Japan.

Well, I appreciate hearing that you don't wish me bad luck or anything like that haha.

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/29 11:45
@justmyday If you are referring to me needing to live with my wife during the permanent residence application process, that is true.

I consulted with two different Japanese immigration lawyers and they both mentioned that immigration doesn't really verify things like this. He mentioned they do sometimes, but it is rare.

They said in situations where they do check and find out you have been living separately, you can go to immigration with an immigration lawyer to explain the situation and reasons why you aren't living together.

I don't know the truth, but this is what they told me during two separate consultations.

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/29 13:24
This is your choice and if you are willing to take the risk you can proceed the way you want.
But I am to long in Japan (+15 years) and I know several people who are kicked out Japan, because they were not telling the truth (revoking of permanent status) etc.

Anyway I wish you the best.

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/29 13:25
even if you live separate and still maintain thesame address with your wife and working within your residential prefecture .
there will be no question or alerm .. unless you commit crime.

by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: Annual omawarisan visit? 2018/6/30 22:29
@justmyday That is cool that you have been living here for so long. Are you tired of Japan at all or do you get homesick? I assume you have experienced quite a bit and have a lot of stories. Thank you for wishing me well.

@chike20 Yes, the immigration lawyers mentioned similar things to me as well. I don't have any criminal record and I intend to stay out of trouble. Thank you for the message. Are you a Japanese person married to a foreigner?

reply to this thread