Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/28 13:17
Question above in the header. Wefre planning to make a day trip to Hiroshima + Miyajima from Osaka, and found out the Peace Museum is undergoing renovations.

Would it still be worth making the entire day trip with the museum undergoing renovation, or would it be better to save this plan for another trip to Japan when the museum is completed?

Thanks all!
by JuvC123 (guest)  

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/28 17:00
The museum has been undergoing renovation for about three years now. The east wing is modern, up-to-date and well worth a visit. Waiting for the "main" building to be complete will not detract from your visit as there is more than enough for a visit and keep you interested.
Typically I allow people an hour (and that was true before the renovations started as well). We had a guest that spent six hours there this June (yep, six hours), and that was in the museum, not the peace park.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/28 20:43
The Peace Memorial Museum is just one part of Hiroshima as the atomic bomb survivor, let alone the main building. Just standing at the park which once was a city center, imagining what happened, and seeing people visiting from all over the world and communicating makes a great difference than not to visit. You can still see the Dome from close by, you can see many exhibitions at the Museum that are worthwhile, and the riverside is just one cozy sightseeing spot. Being in Japan, we get to see atomic bomb exhibitions in any city, but my short visit to Hiroshima was worth while. Disclaimer: I'm Japanese.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/29 01:21
As @Japancustomtours & @Uco say the museum is an important part of Hiroshima but there is so much more. I was reduced to tears by a poem in the park & again when I rang the peace bell. It's the unexpected things that get you, like a small plaque in the wonderful Shukkei en garden about the bodies found buried there in 1987.
Putting the bomb memorials to one side Hiroshima is one of my favourite places. It's such a lively place, visit. You wont regret it
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/29 07:42
It's really up to you - how much you really want to see the surviving items and how often you go to Japan. The part that's open has many items and listed stories to view, but only you can decide really if seeing still more burned old clothes or melted metal adds to your experience.
I think what they have now is enough for most - perhaps displaying more items is better, but you also have to remember there are crowds of people going every day (especially school groups) so at one point it's time to leave.
In addition to the museum, it is well worth seeing the Dome and the Park as well - and all that takes more time.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/29 09:54
A great big thank you to everyone who replied--we really do appreciate them!

We'll be making the trip to the city then.

In a somewhat related note, where would you recommend visiting first, in the morning? The Hiroshima Peace Area, or Miyajima island?

We're planning to have a full day there so we could leave Osaka probably around 7am, then leave the area around 8pm going back.

Thank you again, everyone!
by JuvC123 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/29 10:06
The tides at Miyajima should be what to look at when deciding between the island or the city first.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/29 10:23
That's a good response (re the tides) though I think I'd want to get to Miyajima as early as I could before it is too busy and leave Peace Park for later in the day. Just seeing the dome itself across the canal was significant enough for me.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/29 11:43
@Stan, yes, there is a lot more to see and do in and around Hiroshima. Usually we don't get to do all of the different things that people want as travel is often about cutting things out, rather than adding in extra (although I do that too).
I did not intend my comment to suggest there were not other things in the city, but was responding to the OP's question about if the museum was worthwhile in its current state (and the answer to that is a simple yes).
Just on the Miyajima tides, different people have different preferences for high/low tide. My preference is for low tide, but I know others like to see the gate in the water. For a visit across a day, you can get both.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/29 13:52
You can get tide info (as well as other things) here:
http://www.tides4fishing.com/jp/hiroshima/itsukushima

Generally, I'd say for seeing the shrine, it looks better at high tide. For seeing the big torii gate, naturally low tide is better (unless you have a crazy notion to swim there, or ride on one of the boats that goes through the gate).

Seeing both would be ideal - but depending on the day, the tides could peak or ebb at the time you want or not - Mother Nature doesn't answer to anybody.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum even under renovation? 2018/6/29 15:00
@JapanCustomTours Sorry, I understood your original comment & was trying to agree with you. I was trying to pointing out to the OP that they shouldnt worry about there not being enough to do while the museum is being refurbished. You were right as usual in that the museum is still worth the visit.

About Miyajima: As @Ken has said check the tides & plan around that
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread