Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tourist visa right after spouse visa expires? 2018/6/30 18:36
I've been married to a Japanese national for a year and living in Japan under a spouse visa for most of that time.

Unfortunately we plan to divorce, so the spouse visa will not be renewed. It will expire next month.

I still want to stay in Japan. I'm looking into work and student visa opportunities but in the meantime...

- Is it possible to stay in the country but simply switch to a temporary visitor/tourist visa?
- If not... Would I be able to do a visa run to a nearby country, leave before spouse visa expires, and return once the spouse visa has expired and be stamped in with a temporary visa?

I will be so grateful if anyone can shed any light on this. I've searched for ages, spoke to immigration, spoke to the embassy, and I can't really get a straight answer on this one.

If you've been through this or know someone who has or simply have an idea of what I can do, please help me.

Thank you so much!
by johnasan  

Re: Tourist visa right after spouse visa expires? 2018/7/2 15:04
- Is it possible to stay in the country but simply switch to a temporary visitor/tourist visa?

It is possible to apoly for a change of status from Spouse to TV, with no guarantee that it will be granted.

- If not... Would I be able to do a visa run to a nearby country, leave before spouse visa expires, and return once the spouse visa has expired and be stamped in with a temporary visa?

Likewise, it is possible to exit and come back seeking entry as a TV, with no guarantee that it will be granted.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread