Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone itinerary and location to stay 2018/7/2 23:57
Hi,

I am travelling from Tokyo to Hakone for an overnight trip in December with my partner. We enjoy food, relaxation and scenery.

I am considering this itinerary:

Shibuya to Shinjuku then to Hakone Yumoto station.

Take the Hakone Tozan Train to Gora. Then from Gora to the Hakone Open Air Museum. Is it worth stopping to walk around Gora station area?

After the museum go to Hakone Jinja Shrine. Walk around the lake area?

Make our way to Hakone Yumoto Station, get some snacks. Then head to our accomodation.

I am considering Yamanochaya because of its tradtional feel, views, private onsen and in room kaiseki. Does anyone have alternative accommodation recommendations?

Am i missing out if i don't include the ropeway? I sometimes get asthma so I am worried about the warnings.
by Jt (guest)  

Re: Hakone itinerary and location to stay 2018/7/4 09:05
Take the Hakone Tozan Train to Gora. Then from Gora to the Hakone Open Air Museum.

Why not just get off the train at the stop for the open air museum? No need to go to Gora first.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone itinerary and location to stay 2018/7/4 10:51
Take the ropeway. They give out towelettes to cover you mouth if you are included to do so. If the fumes effect you, (which I doubt unless you have really really bad asthma), then just get back on the ropeway and head for the lake.

You itinerary seems fine. I'd consider dropping of your luggage at you hotel or station first (if they allow), then completing your itinerary.

As mentioned above, the open air museum is one stop before Gora station.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone itinerary and location to stay 2018/7/5 08:29
Thank you JapanCustomTours and hakata14.

Would you happen to know approximately what time the food stores open around the Hakone Yumoto station?

We are trying to decide between Yamanochaya and Manatei. Both seem to have nice views,kaiseki meals and private onsen and similar budgets. Do you have any thoughts on their locations? We will be travelling to Kyoto the next day so originally were thinking that somewhere closer to the station would be best but a lot of people recommend the gora area to stay.
by Jt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone itinerary and location to stay 2018/7/6 09:26
what time the food stores open
The 7/11 is open, and most of the other shops are day-time hours. You could get something before you leave Tokyo or there is a very good food hall at Odawara station I sometimes visit - better range.

I think the more relevant point for Hakone Yumoto is the time the whole town shuts down. After 5 p.m. it is a ghost town - I think everyone is expected to eat at their accommodation. Last time I stayed in the area I actually went back to Odawara to find something that would serve a decent meal (I wasn't keen on a few snacks from the combini or a Y7,000 meal at my hotel/ryokan).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread