Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hotel Check-in at 17 years old 2018/7/6 09:27
Hello,

During a trip,I would like to stay in Osaka for one night.

But I'm 17 years old,and will be 18 just AFTER this trip (like one or two months later)
So,my question is : Can I book a room in a hotel at 17 yo ?

I've heard that some hotels may accept me,and some hotels may refuse me,is it right ?

Sorry if I made mistakes,my english is not really good. ^^

by MiniMinus (guest)  

Re: Hotel Check-in at 17 years old 2018/7/6 15:46
Well, I'm 20 and look young but they never asked me when I checked in by myself how old I was. Now that said, you're technically not an adult in Japan until 20 so it is possible they could refuse you . Personally I think that since kids are more mature in Japan they wouldn't care at all about you being 17 if you're responsible, in fact I did meet a few people in my hostel who were 18 , and I don't believe their parents booked for them. Honestly the best thing to do would be to call the particular hotel you are planning on booking and ask if there is a minimum age.
by DanJpan rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel Check-in at 17 years old 2018/7/6 15:49
Can I book a room in a hotel at 17 yo ?

I think there is no general rule regarding this issue. But many high school students under 18 stay alone, for example, for the entrance examination for universities, so if you can book beforehand, there should be no problem. If you are worried, just ask when you book.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel Check-in at 17 years old 2018/7/6 16:29
The main thing will be that you have to present your passport, and they take a copy of it as well as your credit card or payment plan. This happens to all non Japanese when they book into a hotel, its a regulation of the government, and it doesn't matter if you are 17 or 77
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel Check-in at 17 years old 2018/7/6 17:53
I'm sure you'll be okay, but to be precise, if you're 19 or younger, hotels can ask you to present a note from a parental guardian to show that the guardian approves of your journey. You may want to carry one just in case, or be prepared to have your mom phone the hotel upon they're request. The following link is a backup of what I have just written.
https://hotel756.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-17.html

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of municipals have a by-law prohibiting those 17 and younger to be outdoors after 11 pm. Also, game arcades prohibit those of the age range to be there after 10 pm.

I hope you have lots of fun during the day!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel Check-in at 17 years old 2018/7/7 12:29
I'm sure you'll be okay Probably, but not for certain.

Different hotels have different rules. Some do not allow you to check-in if you are under 18, others allow it. What you should do is pick a property and check their rules. If not on the website, write to them to clarify.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel Check-in at 17 years old 2018/7/8 00:05
I agree with JapanCustomTours.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread