Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rail Pass - Transfer from JR to Private 2018/7/15 18:21
Hi,

I have purchased a JR Rail Pass and am intending to make use of it throughout my holiday around Japan. In Tokyo, I will be staying around Ryogoku Station.

If I was to go to Tokyo Skytree, the suggested route I take was:

- (JR) Ryogoku Station to Kinshicho Station using the Chuo-Sobu Line

Then transfer to Tokyo Metro:

- Kinshicho Station to Oshiage Station using the Hanzomon Line.

How will the transfer of line work if I was to use my JR Rail Pass from Ryogoku Station to Kinshicho Station? Do I need to exit out of the JR gate and purchase a Tokyo Metro ticket for Kinshicho Station to Oshiage Station?

Thank you
by NZ.Traveler (guest)  

Re: Rail Pass - Transfer from JR to Private 2018/7/15 18:25
To clarify, will I need to exit the JR gate at Kinshicho Station to purchase a Tokyo Metro Ticket for 'Kinshicho Station to Oshiage Station' :)
by NZ.Traveler (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rail Pass - Transfer from JR to Private 2018/7/15 18:35
will I need to exit the JR gate at Kinshicho Station to purchase a Tokyo Metro Ticket for 'Kinshicho Station to Oshiage Station' :)

Yes. JR Kinshicho and Tokyo Metro Kinshicho do not share platform so you need to go out the ticket gate of JR Kinshicho and then walk to Tokyo Metro Kinshicho station just following the overhead signage. Of course you can buy IC card and just tap it at the ticket gate of Tokyo Metro.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Rail Pass - Transfer from JR to Private 2018/7/15 18:37
Thank you frog1954 for the clarification!
by NZ.Traveler (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rail Pass - Transfer from JR to Private 2018/7/15 18:39
Yes, Hanzomon Line is a subway line, not JR, so you'll need to exit the JR station once, and go to the metro station and buy a ticket for the subway ride.

If you can ask someone at your hotel (or at Ryogoku Information Center at the station) to help you, there is a bus line that runs in a circular route between Ryogoku station and Tokyo Skytree (Oshiage station).

See the attached map.
http://www.keiseibus.co.jp/special/pdf/sumida/rootmap-sumida.pdf

The one that runs from Ryogoku/Kinshicho area to Oshiage is one shown by the purplish line, and Ryogoku station is number 14 on the purple line. You can see the Skytree around the middle ofthe map.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread