Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1 Pasmo Card for Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto 2018/7/18 23:11
We will arrive in Osaka and are considering purchasing the Pasmo card at the Airport and using it for the 2 days whilst we are in Osaka. We will then use the Japan Rail Pass to get us to Tokyo. Can we use the same Pasmo card, purchased in Osaka, in Tokyo for the 5 days that we are there? Can we also use it later in Kyoto? Thank you.
by Nkrummenacher  

Re: 1 Pasmo Card for Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto 2018/7/19 10:59
Yes, you can use the same Pasmo card in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. You just need to keep refilling it.

Have a great trip!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 1 Pasmo Card for Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto 2018/7/19 11:34
You can buy a Icoca card in Osaka. Not a Pasmo.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1 Pasmo Card for Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto 2018/7/19 13:34
Thank you for your comments. But a little confused... can I or can't I buy a Pasmo in Osaka?
by Nkrummenacher rate this post as useful

Re: IC card and paper pass for your trips 2018/7/19 13:39
PASMO cards are not on sale in the Kansai Region.

You can get an ICOCA card, which is issued by JR-West,
at the JR counter in Kansai Airport [KIX];
then the ICOCA card can work
instead of a PiTaPa card in and around Cities of Osaka and Kyoto
and instead of a Suica card or a PASMO card in Tokyo Metropolis.

We will then use the Japan Rail Pass to get us to Tokyo.

Do you plan to make side trips?
For you to travel only from KIX via Osaka and Kyoto to Tokyo and back,
a Japan Rail Pass is not likely to save greatly your cost.

When will you travel?
Have you confirmed
that you cannot choose Haneda Airport [HND] or Narita Airport [NRT]?
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: 1 Pasmo Card for Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto 2018/7/19 14:26
Thank you. So there is actually no IC card that we can purchase upon arrival in Osaka that can also be used in Tokyo and then in Kyoto? This is really the only question I have as the other part of our 14-day journey is OK. We will have a JR Pass but I have read that in these cities you can't use the JR Pass on all lines so we will need something else to get us through on these lines and therefore I was hoping that just 1 other card (topped up in the cities) would be enough. The 'Insideosaka' website then is a bit misleading: "You can use Icoca/Pasmo/Suica in other parts of Japan as well." Hence my confusion.

Re: 1 Pasmo Card for Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto 2018/7/19 14:42
Each region has its own IC card that can be used all over Japan. That's why you won't see Pasmo for sale in Osaka (but it can be *used* there). You get ICOCA, which you'll use at your other destinations.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: 1 Pasmo Card for Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto 2018/7/19 15:08
Thanks for clearing that up. I just found this comment in Google "ICOCA can be used in Tokyo wherever Suica is accepted. That means it can be used on subway lines as well. If you aren't returning to Kansai area after Tokyo though, you won't be able to get the ICCOA's deposit or unused funds back from JR East. The refund has to be processed at Kansai where JR West is." Fortunately, we will be returning to KIX to fly back to Switzerland so I can keep this ICOCA for the full 14-day trip and then get the deposit back at the Airport before we fly out.

Re: 1 Pasmo Card for Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto 2018/7/19 15:53
As others have explained, each region has it's own brand named IC card. But can be used all over japan where IC card is accepted. Another thing I keep reading is the fear of not being able to return the IC card: the deposit is only US$5, even if you cannot return it it's not the end of the world, keep it for future visits or memento?
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: 1 Pasmo Card for Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto 2018/7/19 15:54
in Narita airport I received my money back from the ICOCA card, but since you are going back to Osaka there are no problems, you buy ICOCA in Osaka and use it in Tokyo also and return it in Osaka.
by pirataurbano rate this post as useful

Re: 1 Pasmo Card for Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto 2018/7/19 15:57
THANK YOU everyone. You've all been very helpful (and extremely fast) with your replies. Now I am happy and know what to do/expect.... Thanks :-)

reply to this thread