Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about after naturalization 2018/7/19 15:14
When you get naturalized, do you guys give your resident card to the immigration or you just show it to them to cancel it and put a hole on it?
I love to keep all my residence cards with me including my permanent residence card.
I hope someone answers this question. Thank you!
by Justagaijin (guest)  

Re: Question about after naturalization 2018/7/20 09:12
Great question. I believe mine was taken by the ward office when I created my koseki. You might want to create a photocopy.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about after naturalization 2018/7/20 10:12
Paul, thank you so much.
My wife checked online and found out there was person who got his resident card back with a hole in it. However, it turned out that he is not living in Tokyo. So, he lives in a different prefecture.
Yesterday, I went to the city hall to create my koseki. I just showed them my PR but they did not take it.
I was asked to return my residence card to the immigration office. I will visit them soon. I share their answer here for the purpose of sharing the info with others. Thank you.

by justagaijin rate this post as useful

Re: Question about after naturalization 2018/7/20 17:26
I got naturalized in feb 2018. I was asked to surrender the resident card to local immigration within 14days. My kika case officer told that if I don't surrender within 14days I have to pay fine.
by Naturalized (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about after naturalization 2018/7/20 17:32
Please surrender your resident card within 14days to your local immigration from the day you get naturalized
by Naturalized (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about after naturalization 2018/7/21 00:41
I went today to immigration office to let them know that I was naturalized and to return my residence card.
Before returning the residence card (permanent residence), I showed them all my previous residence cards with holes in them. I asked the officer if it would be possible to put a hole in my permanent card and return it back to me just as souvenir or for memory. The officer said Yes, sure.

By the way, I was concerned with one thing. The officer did the following:
-Asked me to show him my the document I was given by the ministry of justice (proof that I was naturalized)
-My permanent residence card.
Then, he did put a hole in it and hand it back to me.
-The officer told me that the data I was naturalized does not appear on their system. He said it may take sometime.
- I asked him if I need to comeback again for any reasons.
-The officer clearly said you do not have to comeback.
I was surprised to hear the data I was naturalized does not appear on their system.
by justagaijin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread