Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Packing help for late September 2018/8/19 00:15
I will be traveling to Tokyo and Kyoto September 20th- October 1st and have no idea what to bring to wear. I am a 27 year old female from the United States, and I am not sure what is appropriate attire- should I bring layers? Are shorts and skirts worn? Is it warm enough to be wearing my summer clothes? We will be walking around all day and want to make sure I am comfortable.

any and all help wold be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance :)
All my best,
Maddie
by Maddie Fox  

Re: Packing help for late September 2018/8/19 11:20
Hey Maddie,

It partially depends on where you are from in the USA. Tokyo is about the same latitude as Raleigh, North Carolina, if that helps at all. If you're from somewhere super hot like Phoenix or Miami or LA, it might seem cooler to you than if you're from Boston, Seattle or Chicago.

I'm from the NY Metro Area, and in the past when going to Japan in September/October I've brought lightweight long pants or skirts with tights and short sleeve cotton shirts and maybe a light jacket or light cardigan sweater to wear in the evening/morning. I also have pictures of a friend of mine in a short sleeved t-shirt and long shorts.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Packing help for late September 2018/8/19 16:02
It cant be very, very hot at that time of year especially in Kyoto depending on the year. I'd be expecting days in the high 20's to early 30's celsius and pretty humid though it can also be cooler and drizzly sometimes which is pleasant enough. I'd pack pretty light for the heat but maybe have a jumper as well
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Packing help for late September 2018/8/19 19:43
Yes, layers - shorts and shirts are fine. Being able to keep warm (more for nights/mountain areas) is important, but otherwise I'm expecting to be lightly attired while travelling through both September and October. I will certainly not be packing bulky jackets for my trips across the country until we get to late October and into November.
Last year September was very hot, the year before (2016) October saw a heatwave. Expect it to still be 30C in the day (some days more, some days less) and that some places (shops/hotels/restaurants) will be freezing with a/c.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Packing help for late September 2018/8/20 01:19
Layers, and a light waterproof.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Packing help for late September 2018/8/20 02:01
My problem with skirts without leggings or tights under them is I've personally yet to find a comfortable pair of sandals. I've had a lot of sandals and none of them have worked well in Japan for sightseeing and I just think skirts with most sneakers look weird outside of athletic apparel.

I've not been to Japan in the Fall since '09, but I went in September/October a bunch of time between 1999 and 2009. I don't remember being uncomfortable in lightweight pants, but weather can be unpredictable. We were in Japan this past Summer as well as '17 and '16 and this Summer was by far much hotter. I thought I was going to melt when we were in Tokyo.

Good and comfortable shoes I think are the most important things. I've had definite issues from not wearing the right shoes.

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Packing help for late September 2018/8/20 03:34
In late September,
it is after the peaks of the summer heat,
though there still can be some hot days.
Some people may choose long-sleeved shirts to go outdoors;
no one would wear a jacket or a half-length coat.

[Temperature during the last 10 days of September in 2013 to 2017]
Tokyo (Chiyoda City)
: from 15.7 to 30.6 degrees C.
Kyoto (Kyoto City)
: from 14.7 to 33.1 degrees C.

The temperature may differ in a day by 10 degrees or more.

Also, the autumnal rain front and/or a typhoon may affect the weather.
I recommend you have Plan B for your outdoor activities.

- Japan Meteorological Agency
: Tropical Cyclone Information
https://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/
: One-week Forecasts: Tokyo
https://www.jma.go.jp/en/week/319.html
: One-week Forecasts: Kyoto
https://www.jma.go.jp/en/week/333.html
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread