Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Help for Nature Lovers 2018/8/26 17:45
Dear All,

We, 3 nature lovers, have revised our itinerary. Wefre not fans of temple, so we chose to stay 2 days in Kyoto instead of four. Wefve not booked our accommodations. Any feedback from experienced travellers is much appreciated.

27.11.18 (Tues, Osaka): Reach Osaka early morning. Find a place to rest before checking in. Visit Dontonbori Street in in the evening.

28.11.18 (Wed, Osaka): Day trip to Nara

29.11.18 (Thurs, Kyoto): Cycling around Arashiyama Bamboo Forest(4 hours),Okochi-Sanso Villa,Golden Pavilion, Stroll at downtown.

30.11.18 (Fri, Kyoto): Botanical Garden, Gion, Kiyomizu-dera and Philosopherfs Walk, Stroll at downtown.

1.12, 18(Sat, Takayama)

2.12.18 (Sun, Takayama)

3.12.18(Mon, Shirawakago)

4.12.18(Tues, Kanazawa)

5.12.18(Wed, Kanazawa)

6.12.18 (Thurs, Matsumoto)

7.12.18 (Fri, Hakone)

8.12.18 (Sat, Tokyo) Join Tuna Auction tour at Tsukiji Market, Harajuku,Meiji Jingu,imperial Palace, Shibuya?

9.12.18(Sun,Tokyo) :, Visit Ueno Park, Yoyogi Park, Metropolitan Building, Takeshita Dori,Tokyo

10.12.18(Mon) Early flight to K.L

We have some doubts:

1. We discovered that we will miss the autumn in Takayama and Kanazawa, is worth
visit these places in winter?
2. We read about the scenic Five Lakes and Kisu Valley. If we want to go on 9 Dec.,
is it doable ? Will it be too packed?

by zhung (guest)  

Re: Itinerary Help for Nature Lovers 2018/8/27 16:52
Hi. If you like nature then aside from staying at Arashiyama at Kyoto I'd suggest the Westin Miyako and especially the Japanese wing which is more in the gardens, and there is access to trails up the top of a hill through a forest. It is quite peaceful.

I'd still go to Takayama. The squirrel park might be closed by mid December (worth a look as the grounds are very nice) but the park itself has great trails. Kiso Valley shouldnt be too busy, but the Tsumago/Magome trail is more interesting than spectacular.

I'd spend a night at Nara, as close to the park as possible.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Help for Nature Lovers 2018/8/27 18:13
Tsukiji inner market will then have moved to Toyosu https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3013_market.html
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Help for Nature Lovers 2018/8/27 18:22
I would go in order Kanazawa, Sjiragawako, Takayama, Matsumoto. This keeps you traveling in one direct and saves time instead of zigzagging across a map.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Help for Nature Lovers 2018/8/27 21:02
Nature lovers visiting Japan shouldn't miss the Fuji Five Lakes region and the Izu Peninsula, much of which are remote countryside, beautiful forest and mountains with fantastic scenery. Since you like bike touring, I strongly suggest hooking up with Fuji Bike Tour if you go to the Five Lakes: http://www.fujibiketour.com

I had the best time of my entire month-long trip to Japan on that bike tour.

As for Izu, it's the closest thing on mainland Japan to the slow life vibe of Okinawa and other distant tropical Japanese islands. I don't know anywhere with better English-speaking hiking guides than Izu. It's still warm enough in December for hiking around the peninsula. My favorite of the hikes was the one in Ito offered by a company called Izu Hike. I don't remember the name of that course but you can ask at http://www.izuhike.com
I think they have mixed hiking/biking tours too.
by el forestero rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Help for Nature Lovers 2018/8/27 21:06
It will definitely not be too crowded in the Fuji Five Lakes region on Dec. 9. Nor will it be in Izu. Most of your itinerary is in cities, so as nature lovers, you'll definitely want to drop some of those destinations in favor of less urban environments. The only nature in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Matsumoto is manicured.
by el forestero rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Help for Nature Lovers 2018/8/28 00:36

We, 3 nature lovers have revised our itinerary. Any comments or suggestions from experienced travellers are much appreciated.

27.11.18 (Tues, Kyota): Reach Osaka early morning. Take JR Haruka express train to Kyoto (80min direct).

28.11.18 (Wed, Kyoto): Cycling around Arashiyama Bamboo Forest (4 hours),Okochi-Sanso Villa,Golden Pavilion,
Stroll at downtown.

29.11.18 (Thurs, Kyoto): Botanical Garden, Gion, Kiyomizu-dera and Philosopherfs Walk, Stroll at downtown

30.11.18 (Fri, Kyoto): Day trip to Nara and Osaka

1.12, 18(Sat, Kanazawa)

2.12.18 (Sun, Kanazawa) Visit Shirakawa go for few hours

3.12.18(Mon, Takayama):

4.12.18(Tues, Takayama) ): Visit Masumoto for few hours,visit Masumoto , Daio Wasabi Farm in Azumino

5.12.18(Wed, Kawaguchi-ko ):five lakes(watch Mt Fuji if weather permits.)

6.12.18 (Thurs, Kawaguchi-ko): Five Lakes

7.12.18 (Fri, Hakone):Onsen

8.12.18 (Sat, Tokyo): Join Tuna Auction tour at Toyosu(2.3 km fromTsukiji Market), Harajuku (Takeshita Dori,
Meiji Jingu), Shibuya (Yoyogi Park), Shinjuku (Tokyo Metro Govt Bldg)

9.12.18(Sun,Tokyo) :Tsukiji Outer Market, Imperial Palace & Ueno Park and Asakusa (Nakamise Dori) if time permits.

10.12.18(Mon): Early flight to K.L

We've some doubts:
1. We read about the beautiful Kiso Valley and are thinking of going there . Should we let go Nara and 1 day in
Tokyo/Kyoto. 2 days for Kiso Valley?
2. Is it doable ? and How is the route?
3. We'll travel using public transport? Should we buy JR pass
by zhung (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Help for Nature Lovers 2018/8/28 10:57
Join Tuna Auction tour at Toyosu(2.3 km fromTsukiji Market)
I don't know why you need a "tour" to look through a glass window at Toyosu. That is the current published setup at the new market.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread