Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Enter as tourist, then student visa 2018/8/31 00:59
Hello,

I'm planning to study in Japan for a year but I was told I can only enter Japan when my student visa begins, but I'd like to go two weeks before the school term starts to meet my friends in Japan. Is it possible to enter the country as a temporary visitor and then have the student visa + residence card issued while being in Japan?

Thanks!
by Kinlyu  

Re: enter on TV, then w student visa 2018/8/31 11:59
Shocking fact: visas are documents that are being given abroad by embassies. There is no Japanese embassy in Japan so it is a change of status.
by Nothing Personal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enter as tourist, then student visa 2018/8/31 14:15
it is only two weeks. you can come to Japan with a student visa, two weeks earlier. (no problem)
you need to fix your accommodation and buy some necessity items, before the school starts.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enter as tourist, then student visa 2018/9/1 12:48
visas are documents that are being given abroad by embassies.
While some people obtain "visas" from overseas embassies, people also get/renew/change them in Japan.

As for the OP, what does it show on your documentation for you Status of Residence - does it have a start date or just an end date?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Enter as tourist, then student visa 2018/9/1 16:59
I haven't received my COE yet, as Immigration is very busy with the application for October term students, I'll know the 15th (or later). I've sent an email to the Immigration desk in Japan but considering how much work they have I don't know when I can expect an answer.

Maybe it's best to contact the Japanese Embassy here but you can only call them during business hours and I can hardly call them at work xD

(if you are in Japan and have a visa that needs renewal, ofc it's done in Japan @nothing personal. The thing I was told is that when you go there on a student visa, you need to get your residence card and work permit at the immigration office at the airport, and if you enter as tourist and need to change your visitor status from tourist aka temorary visitor to student it might be impossible or very troublesome. )
by Kinlyu rate this post as useful

Re: Enter as tourist, then student visa 2018/9/2 10:10
So you don't have your CoE yet - they can take three months to process.
And therefore you don't have your visa either. Makes it difficult to answer your question.

I will add a "but" - given that students do not attend classes every week of the year, it is reasonable to arrive before your school starts.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread