Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumamoto Best Of Trip 2018/9/1 22:49
Hi All,

Between December 29th and January 12th, I am planning to visit Kyushu with a major focus on Kumamoto Prefecture. This is the second last prefecture I have not visited in detail in Japan, so this the purpose of this trip. Due to the expertise of this forum from past trips, I've decided to state my basic plan and would love to hear feedback. Do note that I have a car and have travelled more around Japan than most.

Dec 39th: Visit Munanaka Taishi (Fukuoka) including Oshima Island.
December 31st: Drive down to Amakusa Islands. Focus on Oyano Island
January 1st: Focus on Shimoshima & Ueshima Island in Amakusa.
January 2nd: Visit some locations around Amakusa, then make way to Hitoyoshi
January 3rd: Sites around Hitoyoshi
January 4th: Sites around Minamata
January 5th: Drive to Kumamoto City. Visit sites around vicinity.
January 6th: Kumamoto City
January 7th: Aso Onsen
January 8th: Kurakawa Onsen (outside of town in private apt with private onsen(
January 9th: Ureshino Onsen (Yukai Resort)
January 10th: Ureshino Onsen (Yukai Resort)
January 11th: Dazaifu in Onsen Hotel
January 12th: go back home
by mfedley  

Re: Kumamoto Best Of Trip 2018/9/2 13:38
Wow. I really envy you. So many travels to Japan.

When in Kurokawa Onsen donft miss Yamamizuki onsen. Ifd say it is definitely within the top 3 onsen I have ever visited in Japan. At least the female part has a view on a small waterfall and river. I think the men only get the river. Sorry.

Enjoy your trip to Kumamoto.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto Best Of Trip 2018/9/2 21:16
I'll try and remember that LikeBike. Onsens are kind of my thing - specifically in winter (water quality)
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto Best Of Trip 2018/9/3 02:56
You don't mention your mode(s) of transport, but to see Kumamoto well you need a car except inside the city. Buses into the interior are few and are timed mainly for worker commutes.

Leave Shimo-Amakusa by ferry via Nagashima. The small Catholic churches that you might be visiting are at the south end anyway, so the ferry isn't out of the way. You can then drive north along the coast to Minamata without backtracking. As you leave Nagashima and go into Izumi City, there's a Crane Center on the coast where over 10,000 cranes spend the winter.
http://www.kanko-izumi.com/crane.html

To save some distance, there is a road between Ashikita-machi and the Kumagawa to get to Hitoyoshi. Otherwise, you can see some old onsen buildings in Hinagu, check out some Kodayaki there also, Shohinken in Yatsushiro next to the old castle, and then follow the Kumagawa to Hitoyoshi. If you're short on time, the expressway from Yatsushiro to Hitoyoshi goes through some 29 or so tunnels as it passes through the Kyushu Sanchi Highlands QNP. Route 219 that follows the river, has some nice views and a small limestone cave at Kyusendo. It also has a lot of traffic who's drivers are local or don't want to pay the toll.

If you want to see a depopulated rural area, drive north into Itsuki (famous for lullaby) and Gokanosho. There are several minshuku around the area that serve meals made from locally gathered food from the forests. I'm not sure what they gather in the winter, though.

In Itsukimura, there's an onsen across from the Miti-no-eki, "Itsuki Onsen Yumeuta." I've only stopped there for lunch though and haven't used anything but the foot bath.

Momigi in Gokanosho is famous for being a hideaway for the defeated Heike after the Battle of Dannoura in 1185. If you get there, you can see how they managed to stay hidden. It's a nice winding road where you're glad the mirrors get posted on the corners.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto Best Of Trip 2018/9/3 03:39
Actually the menfs side of yamamizuke has IMHO an even better view than the womensf side.

In Aso, this ryokan in Minami Aso is awesome (but was closed after the last quakes and may not yet be open) https://kumanago.jp/en/spots/hotspring/search/?onsen_id=1
the food was as good as the bathing, and the crazy breakfast lazy river egg delivery service is unique
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto Best Of Trip 2018/9/3 20:56
Hi All,

Thanks for the info. I thought I mentioned that I had a car for 14 nights - I must not have been clear enough on that. It's good to hear about the onsen having a good view - the onsen at Kii-Katsuura which is in a huge cave on the pacific ocean with large waves crashing into the onsen is still one of my highlights of Japan. I've still not seen many rivers or waterfalls from an onsen though.

On visit depopulated areas - this is something I've seen plenty of. I can't remember the name, but I remember visiting an old coal mine in Japan's most depopulated town.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto Best Of Trip 2018/9/4 14:52
No onsen with waterfalls yet? Maybe you want to try akagawaonsen since you are in this area.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread