Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/9 18:56
We are planning a trip to Hiroshima in late October and have about 8 days there. Besides Miyajima, we would like to travel out of Hiroshima to visit other places. And to see autumn colours too!

From some research, we are thinking of going to Yamaguchi as the base for Hagi and Tsuwano. Also considering Matsue.

Would appreciate recommendations on where to visit and advice on transport as there are websites that advised that trains may be slow and unpredictable. If anyone has an itinerary, that would be most useful too. Thank you very much!
by Gingercat (guest)  

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/10 12:45
The following places around Hiroshima spring to my mind:
- Iwakuni
- Shimanami Kaido and Onomichi (http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/part-10-day-48-49-ridin...)
- or other islands in the Seto inland sea such as Inujima, Teshima... (interesting art projects there)
- Okayama and Kibi Plain and Kurashiki
- Bichu Takamatsu for the castle (http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/day-46-okayama-and-taka...)
- places on the Japan Sea side, that you have already on your list.

It depends on your interests and how far you are willing to travel. Travel to the above places essentially would be by train and ferry (or bicycle for the Shimanami Kaido).

Your travel time might be a bit early for autumn colours. Please check it out from previous years. Maybe there are some places higher up. E.g. I was in Bichu Takahashi last year 10/Nov and it was still somewhat early. There were some autumn colours but nothing specially impressive.

Enjoy your trip to Hiroshima
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/10 13:06
Saijo - If you like sake or would like to tour sake breweries, there are many breweries all concentrated in one area easy walking from Saijo station. From the station, look for tall chimneys to the east and start walking.

Onomichi - Further east of Saijo, near the eastern edge of Hiroshima prefecture, there is a cluster of temples on the hill overlooking the Seto Inland Sea. You can take a ropeway to the top of the hill and walk down through many temples. Note that local trains between Hiroshima city and Onomichi are out of service as of this writing due to the heavy rains, but they are expected to be fully restored by mid-October. Check the JR West web site for the latest status.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3475.html

Tsuwano - If you can time your visit to a weekend, you can ride steam locomotive (SL) from Shin-Yamaguchi (or Yamaguchi) to Tsuwano. If you've never ridden a SL, or it's been a while since your last ride, it's super retro cool. Reservation is highly recommended.
http://www.c571.jp/index.html

JR West Rail Passes - There may be a rail pass that suits your trip. http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/

Have a fun trip!

by miyako (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/10 14:32
i am also staying 6 days there, so i have added some of my spots, that are not mentioned yet:
Sandankyo Gorge - ŽO’i‹¬
Tomonoura - èۂ̉Y
Kurashiki - ‘q•~Žs
Ōkunoshima - ‘å‹v–쓇 (rabbit isle)
Mitaki Tera - @‰ÓŽR (this is always my highlight, when i go to hiroshima, so i go there everytime again)
Fukuoj - •Ÿ‰¤Ž›
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/10 15:13
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/10 21:58
@hakata14: thank you for your suggestion. i would be around area of iwakuni and have some time to spend...

so i tried to look at this page you linked about nishikawa. it seems to be a special train going through the nishikawa valley, right?

but i couldnt figure out what special is to see (Beside one long tunnel with leds).
so WHY should someone go with the nishikawa train and until where / what stops are recommended?

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/11 11:25
Thank you very much to all who have responded. Appreciate your suggestions. Now I want to spend a month in Hiroshima instead of just 8 days! Will update on my final itinerary.

Keep the suggestions coming! Have a great day!
by gingercat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/11 16:41
You need to go to Okayama, where you'll find one of the main gardens of Japan. Nearby (but on train) is Kurashiki, and you could enjoy a boat ride on the canal there. Other place I recommend is Iwakuni, the bridge sure is magnificent (but you pay to cross it).
You can go further away if you have time and visit Fukuoka to the west or Himeji to the east, via the Sanyo Shinkansen. And if you're staying a month you could try Shikoku region and visit some places, such as Naoshima, the island of Art and Architecture.

Enjoy your trip!!! I'll be going to Hiroshima and Miyajima myself on 11th November. Exciting!!!
by catiasmteixeira rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/17 13:41
Hi everyone!
Again, thanks for your advice and recommendations. I am now planning a more ambitious itinerary.

I read on some websites that the trains are slower moving and unpredictable in that region and wondering if we should rent a car when we are out of Hiroshima. What do you think?

Currently, my very rough itinerary is:
Day 1 - Touch down in Hiroshima in the morning. Head to Onomichi.
Day 2 - Hiroshima
Day 3 - Miyajima
Day 4 - Iwakuni
Day 5 - Yamaguichi/ Tsuwano/ Hagi
Day 6 - Yamaguichi/ Tsuwano/ Hagi
Day 7 - Hiroshima - Mitaki Tera/ Sandankyo Gorge/ Tomonoura
Day 8 - Hiroshima - Mitaki Tera/ Sandankyo Gorge/ Tomonoura
Day 9 - Head home

Thanks!
by gingercat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/17 20:44
Day 4 - Iwakuni

I think a half-day trip to Iwakuni would be enough, you could add one more place to that day. Enjoy!
by catiasmteixeira rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/18 05:43
I would leave it as is. Day 5 and 6 are huge days. So if day 4 finished early. Which I doubt. Some extra rest before the big days would be welcome.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for 8 days in Hiroshima area 2018/9/18 08:19
i would recommend that you combine Mitaki and Iwakuni on one day, sandankyo takes too long so you should put it on one day... in would make it like this
Day 1 - Touch down in Hiroshima in the morning. Head to Onomichi.
Day 2 - Onomichi - Tomonoura
Day 3 - Hiroshima - Sandankyo Gorge
Day 4 - Miyajima (or maybe also here Mitaki Tera in the morning , if you get up earyl)
Day 5 - Mitaki Tera (morning) - Iwakuni (afternoon)
Day 6 - Yamaguichi / Hagi
Day 7 - Hagi / Tsuwano
Day 8 - Hiroshima
Day 9 - Head home

i also tried to put your route in some more less jumping around one, so you avoid traveling back and forward. you can switch day3, 4, 5 and 8 with each other. you should reserve the day with the best weather for Sandankyo Gorge

reply to this thread