Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheapest decent food in Tokyo? 2018/9/18 08:55
Hi there! What are some of the cheapest Teishoku or Buffet available in Tokyo for around 100-400 yen?
by columbusohio  

Re: Cheapest decent food in Tokyo? 2018/9/18 10:18
100-400 yen? ROFL
Maybe conbini store
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest decent food in Tokyo? 2018/9/18 10:31
No "buffet" in that price range.

Either buy at a convenience store (rice balls or "bento" box), or look around for beef/pork bowls at Yoshinoya or Matsuya chain restaurant locations (but they are in the 400 yen + range).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest decent food in Tokyo? 2018/9/18 11:57
It's kinda funny that in another thread you asked about the long stay visa with 30 millions yens bank account needed and here you are asking about places with 100-400 yens buffet...so funny.

A single onigiri or rice ball is about 150 yens in conviniennce store and about the same price in supermarkets. I suppose everybody will head to buffet places rather that surviving on crappy convinience stores food.

PS: You know you can't even get those range of prices in Phuket or Bangkok and Thailand is cheaper than Japan...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest decent food in Tokyo? 2018/9/18 18:17
I think very branch of Ikea has a cheap snack bar near the entrance (as opposed to their regular cafeterias). Generally speaking though, you'd need to shop carefully at a supermarket and prepare your own food if you want to eat within that sort of budget.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest decent food in Tokyo? 2018/9/18 22:59
Very good points my friends. You can also see my priority here xD I would much rather save as much money as possible than spending any of it on anything. Because I know that Japan is very expensive, so I have to get anything and any service at the lowest possible cost. Especially on recurring costs such as groceries, housing and transportation.
by columbusohio rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest decent food in Tokyo? 2018/9/18 23:29
No, actually Japan isn't "very expensive." The cost of living in Tokyo is much cheaper than other world cities like London, New York and Paris, and the cost of living in provincial Japanese cities is quite a bit less than Tokyo.

Certain food items might be a bit more expensive than the US, but I don't think you're going to find many $1.00 buffet restaurants in major US cities, especially not if you're looking for "decent food."

Anyway, it's certainly possible to live frugally here, just not quite as cheaply as Y100-400.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest decent food in Tokyo? 2018/9/18 23:41
Op,First of All,Welcome to Japan. I am a citizen of third world country.
Friend, I think you are From USA.However, please don't save money on Food.You want to eat in buffet restaurant Like me.Wise Decision.
I eat unlimited food and Drinks in Sweets paradise for 1530 yen.
So my monthly cost is 45900 yen.In Blink eye, it seems a Lot of yen.But
It save me gas cost,Going to super market cost,Transportation cost to go to buy rice etc item.In that time,I can hangout with my Friends or work in arubaito.because students are not permitted to work full time.
Good Luck.
by Raj (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest decent food in Tokyo? 2018/9/19 04:58
Actually, Japan is not expensive at all (compared to the US where I live) - especially if you are interested in local food (obviously not Ginza 5* restaurants). You can get a very decent ramen for less than $10 - compare to the US which is $15-18 not including tips/tax, and not even close to quality. If you are on a budget you can also check out the supermarket couple hours before they close as they often mark down by 50-80% during that time! 300-500 yen for a decent meal!

The convenience store in Japan actually have very good quality food as well (unlike the 7-11s in the US). You can feed yourself off of karagae, tempura, and onigily for <400 yen for sure.
by DarthBL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest decent food in Tokyo? 2018/9/19 05:55
Japan is not expensive.

If you are staying for a extended period of time. You should be eating in and not at buffets. Tap water costs next to nothing. And home prepared meals will cost you 300-400 yen per serve.

If it eat out every meal. Expect an average of 500-700 yen for the super cheapo options ie combini stores.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread