Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spring Itinerary Check 2018/9/25 15:40
Everyone's been really helpful for my questions but I hope you can help again. This is my current itinerary for March/April and think I have it reasonably pinned down but would appreciate a second opinion in case there's something which just won't work :)

Accommodation:
Tokyo (both times) - Airbnb by Tokyo Skytree
Osaka - Airbnb by Sekaisuji-Hammachi station
Koyasan - Shojoshin-in
Kyoto - Airbnb by Kyoto station
Fukuoka - Airbnb by Minami-Fukuoka station
Kurokawa Onsen - Still to be booked but hopefully Wakaba Ryokan (waiting for reservations to open)
Miyajima - Auberge Mizuhaso ryokan

Note all airbnbs are well reviewed and display license numbers - I also figure if there are any issues at least I have time for everything to come out in the wash.

Day 1-4 (21/3-24/3): Tokyo rough itinerary
Day 1 (21/3): - Arrive at Haneda at ridiculous o'clock (4:55am). Once things open activate 21 day JR Pass, collect pocket wifi, send luggage onto accommodation, Meiji-jinju, Shinjuku/Shibuya,
Day 2 (22/3): Imperial Palace garden, Nihonbashi, Ginza, Pokemon cafe, Ghibli clock, Roppongi night club
Day 3 (23/3): Ghibli Museum, park, Totoro cream puffs and Setagaya, Figure Skating World Champs in Saitama from 5:30
Day 4 (24/3): Luggage sent on to Osaka, Kawagoe cherry blossoms, Figure Skating World Champs in Saitama from 3pm, Shibuya Nomikai

Day 5 (25/3): Morning shikansen to Osaka arriving at lunchtime. Aquarium, collect luggage and Dotonburi.
Day 6 (26/3): Free morning then midday train to Koyasan. Explore then cemetery tour in the evening.
Day 7 (27/3): Explore Koyasan further then midday train to Osaka. Denden town/Namba or Osaka castle. Send luggage onto Kyoto.
Day 8 (28/3): Early train to Himeji, explore castle and gardens. Midday-ish train to Kobe to Ikuta Shrine, Kitano, ropeway and herb garden and tea
Day 9 (29/3): Train to Yoshino for cherry blossoms, midday to Nara and explore then 5/6ish train to Kyoto

Day 10-12 (30/3-1/4): Kyoto Rough Itinerary
Day 10 (30/3): Kimono hire and tea ceremony, south higashiyama, Fushimi Inari (at night)
Day 11 (31/3): Nishiki Market, Imperial Palace, Shimogami jinja, Sento Palace, Downtown
Day 12 (1/4): Miyako Odori, North Higashiyama (some temples I want to go to only open 1/4), send luggage on to Fukuoka

Day 13 (2/4): Early train to Hokuei and the Conan manga factory, early afternoon train to Tottori. Cherry blossoms or sand dunes (the Sand Museum isn't open then right?) before 5ish train to Fukuoka getting in at 9
Day 14 (3/4): Collect luggage, strawberry picking at Lion Kajitsuen before continuing to Hita to catch the early afternoon bus to Kurokawa Onsen then just relax
Day 15 (4/4): Relax some more before catching the midday bus to Hita and continuing to Dazaifu then back to Fukuoka
Day 16 (5/4): Karatsu (and Yuri on Ice anime pilgrimage) and Nanzoin in the afternoon also cherry blossoms in Fukuoka if still around
Luggage sent on to Tokyo

Day 17 (6/4): Super early train to Hiroshima if Hello Kitty is still running (if not slightly later train). Peace Park and museum, gardens before heading to Miyajima about midday. Explore Miyajima - Mt Misen, Daigan-ji
Day 18 (7/4): More exploring Miyajima - Itsukishima shrine, Daisho-in, Senjokaku before heading back to Hiroshima around midday. Train to Tokyo getting in around 5ish. Ninja Asakasa for tea

Day 19 (8/4): Ikebukuro all day - geeky shopping, bunny cafe
Day 20 (9/4): Disney Sea
Day 21 (10/4): Sensoji and Akasuka, Mori Art Museum and Odaiba
Day 22 (11/4): Early train to Narita (Access Express) 10:40 flight home from Narita

Misc things I'd love to do but just don't fit right now:
Afternoon in Akihabara
Day Trip to Nikko
Ainoshima Island
Arashiyama
Kinkaku-ji area

All of the Tokyo itinerary bar DisneySea and the figure skating is flexible depending on the weather and blossoms.

Things I'm wondering:
Should I consider getting the 14 Day pass instead of my current choice of 21 Day? My major movements are days 5-18 but my main consideration was that the 21 Day gives me more flexibility if I do decide to slot in another day trip. However the 14 Day pass will keep an extra $200 in my pocket and won't significantly increase my costs I think as other than Saitama and Kawagoe I would be in Tokyo where I'd be using the Suica Card anyway.
by moonangelica (guest)  

Re: Spring Itinerary Check 2018/9/25 18:51
A few things come to mind: with Air B & B, be sure that they do accept luggage sent in advance (there might not be anyone available to receive it for you).

A 14-day pass sounds fine - the only thing that you might want to (if you find the time) do with a bit of long-distance seems to be Nikko, but for Nikko there is an alternative to JR trains, so you could buy the pass by Tobu Railways if you decide to go. (Since you will be staying near Sky Tree, getting to Tobu Asakusa station should be easy.)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Itinerary Check 2018/9/26 15:06
Looks like you did your homework, have fun!
by WJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Itinerary Check 2018/9/26 16:57
I would attempt to hit Kyushu early in your itinerary as the peak blossums opening hit late March, then when you move to the main island Honshu locations, peak season should be hitting there by then.

You've got yourself the other way around in the current itinerary. You'll catch blossums either way though. So it the itinerary is already in concrete, then don't worry about it.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Itinerary Check 2018/9/26 19:07
Yay! Glad to hear nothing is of the 'not gonna work' category :)

@guest I've decided to bypass the delivery to the airbnbs and send my bag to service centres instead. Fortunately there's one within 15 mins walk of each of my airbnbs :)
I'm hoping to wedge in Nikko somehow but three weeks sounds like ages when you start planning but not once you've got it all on paper >.<

@WJ Thank you!

@hakata14 Yeah I considered that but with the world champs restricting me to Tokyo, then wanting to do Tottori and Miyajima, I thought a 'down one side up the other' approach would work best time wise. Also I deliberately left the blossoms out of my initial stages of planning so I didn't end up somewhere I was going to just for the blossoms when the weather could completely screw it up :)
by moonangelica (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Itinerary Check 2018/9/27 03:10
Nice. A bit too planned & packed for my taste but that's just me. A few tiny, tiny comments.

I really liked Nijojo in Kyoto. The nightingale floor made real impression on me. That might have something to do with the two tiny Japanese girls behind me trying & failing to walk silently. The giggling would have given them away anyway :) https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3918.html
I tried to find the tide tables for Miyajima next April but they don't seem to be up yet. Check nearer the date to make sure you see the tide where you want.
On day 19 don't miss Nakano broadway for geeky shopping at the many Mandarake branches. It's under 15 minutes & 200 yen from Ikebukuro https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3069.html
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Itinerary Check 2018/9/27 09:30
@Stan Norrell Yeah, I tend towards the 'plan everything' side of things, but have learned to leave flexibility in there if the weather packs a sad etc. Though you should have seen the first draft - it would have needed three months not three weeks haha.
I have looked at Kijojo - I might end up swapping out one of the imperial palaces for it. Though that is super cute with the nightingale floor :)
I'll be checking tides etc closer to the time but I think since I'm staying overnight I should be okay.
Nakano is on my list, but yeah, shoved in with Ikebukuro. Otome Rd is prooobably where the bulk of my shopping will happen but I will be checking it out as well.

Re: Spring Itinerary Check 2018/9/27 09:51
Hi!

I know this is not a popular opinion, but we were super disappointed when we visited the Ghibli Museum in July. My daughter and I are huge Miyazaki fans, in particular my daughter, but it's just so crowded. It really hurt the experience. I think we waited a good 40 minutes for the bus to the Museum because there was that long of a line of other guests in front of us. It's also much harder to get tickets via JTB than it was in the past. We ended up getting regular timed tickets through our hotel. The plus of that was it was way cheaper. If you want to eat in the cafe, get in the line as soon as it opens. The exclusive merchandise was nice, but the stores that sell lots of Totoro merchandise have some really neat stuff, some of which I liked better, like the Miyazaki themed teas. I'm glad we went, because now we don't need to go on a different trip and we can plan other sightseeing options.

I've also been to the Pokemon Cafe. Go hungry, the portion sizes are huge.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Itinerary Check 2018/9/27 14:54
@Moonangelica. I would as you say consider swapping out one of the palaces for Nijojo I lucked onto a tour of the detached palace once & while it was good I did prefer the castle. Ah, Otome road. I ended up there on my first trip without really understanding the concept at the time. It was eye opening :)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Spring Itinerary Check 2018/9/27 15:33
@rkold That sucks that you were disappointed in the Ghibli museum. I'm hoping to snag a first entry ticket which might be a little less crowded (since you have a time to enter but can leave whenever). My travel agent said he can get tickets earlier than general sale so fingers crossed. However if it doesn't work out it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if I dropped it (also then I could swap around a couple of things and Nikko might be back on the table :D)
I'll keep that in mind about the Pokemon cafe :)

@Stan Norrell Haha, I can't imagine hitting Otome Rd without at least some idea of what you're heading for. Must have been an interesting day!

reply to this thread