Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting another tourist visa? 2018/10/13 02:36
Hello! Im from the United States and am planning on going to Japan this year! Im very excited and interested in Japan and would like to be there for a decent amount of time. I believe I would only be able to get a tourist visa because I don't plan on being a student or working in Japan. However a tourist visa is only valid for up to 90 days and ideally I'd like to travel in Japan longer than that. My question is if its doable for me to go to Japan for the full 90 days, then catch a cheap flight to a neighboring country and stay there for around a month, then go back to Japan with a new tourist visa? I plan on asking this question to the Japan embassy but I figured it'd be worth it to ask here first. Any info is appreciated, thank you very much!
by James Spitzenberger (guest)  

Re: Getting another tourist visa? 2018/10/13 21:33
Yes you can.

Most just fly to korea and return the next day.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting another tourist visa? 2018/10/13 23:24
Wow you really can return just the next day? I was definitely thinking of going to Korea for the in-between period
by James (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting another tourist visa? 2018/10/13 23:45
Going to Korea and entering Japan again with Temporary Visitor status is possible, but not guaranteed. Be ready to show proof of traveling funds for the extended period of time.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting another tourist visa? 2018/10/13 23:55
Going to Korea and entering Japan again with Temporary Visitor status is possible, but not guaranteed. Be ready to show proof of traveling funds for the extended period of time.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting another tourist visa? 2018/10/14 08:40
We entered Japan at the end of August for 88 days (we are from Australia and can get a ninety day visa).

The immigration officers quizzed us both about why we were staying so long, and asked about, though didn't ask for evidence of, a return ticket. They didn't ask any questions about money. Compared to previous trips (up to 25 days) when we walked straight through, we were asked many more questions and kept for longer.

There were no swinging lightbulbs involved, but I wouldn't assume, based on that experience, that you will be able to waltz in and out easily.

If you stay more than half the year (I think 182 or so days) overall you can run into tax problems as well.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread