Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What does the name Sayumi mean? 2018/10/28 02:04
If the name Sayumi is written as “さゆみ” in Hiragana, what does it mean?
by Sayumi (guest)  

Re: What does the name Sayumi mean? 2018/10/28 12:18
It depends not on the hiragana but the kanji.
by C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What does the name Sayumi mean? 2018/10/28 14:50
Yes, each Japanese name can have a multitude of meanings and spellings. It’s pretty fun!
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: What does the name Sayumi mean? 2018/10/28 17:07
Hi,
I wonder if this word does not nor did not exist in the form of one indivisible word. However, if this word is a compound one, i.e. a prefix and noun, sa-yumi, I think it makes sense.
In the ancient Japanese, the prefix ‘sa’ meant ‘fresh and young’, and used in a limited number of words like saotome(さおとめ)young maiden, sanae さなえ(早苗)young rice plant, on the other hand, ‘sa’ also meant 箭さ(old word for や矢 arrow) in the ancient Japanese, and 'yum'i means and meant, as far as I know, 弓 bow. So, if you like, 'sayumi' might mean ‘arrow and bow’. But considering it as a person’s name, ‘arrow and bow’ sounds a little queer. So, when we seek another solution, we easily find there are names like まゆみ/真弓 Mayumi(beautiful bow), simple ゆみ Yumi, 由美子/Yumiko and so on. ゆみ has been preferably used as a a person’s (especially girl’s) name, because the word ゆみ 弓 bow, implies ‘elasticity and strength’. On the other hand, we have girls names like Saori さおり、沙織, or Sayaka さやか、Sae さえ, Saki(ko) さき、咲子 and so on. I don’t think ‘sa’ in these names have something to do with the original meaning of ‘sa’.

Anyway, all these elements considerd, one think naturally of making a name Sayumi as a person’s (especially girl’s) name. In the case, it seems to me that ’sa’ surely means fresh and young, ‘yumi’ is used following the tradition with no special consideration of its original meaning.

Personally, I think Sayumi さゆみ, 紗弓, 早弓 is a beautiful name for a girl.
by ,,, (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What does the name Sayumi mean? 2018/10/29 00:10
It depends on the intention of the person who gave the name to her, not on the hiragana or kanji. Sometimes it doesn't have much meaning other than the fact that it sounds nice.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What does the name Sayumi mean? 2018/11/4 15:23
Japanese do not really think about the meaning of names any more than English speakers do about names.

For example, the name Smith, very common, maybe once in your life you thought, "Oh , yeah, like a blacksmith..." and then promptly started not caring about it again.
Same thing with Japanese. If they see the name "Chieko," they don't think "Oh, knowledge child," they think "Chieko". If you see the name "Woodward," you don't think "Oh, keeper of the forest" you just think "Woodward."

When picking out a name for our daughter, what was more important than the meaning of the characters was the number of strokes in the characters, including in different combinations of each of the name characters (family and personal). For example, if you think of the most common type of name as having four characters, (let's number them as 1, 2, 3, 4) then (if I remember correctly, it has been ten years since I did this) the total number of strokes in characters 3, 4, 3 + 4, 1 + 4, and 2 + 3 were what was important. We had a magazine article with a chart that we used to cross-reference the total number of characters for the different combinations, and if we came up with one that brought good luck (according to the charts in the magazine article) in each important combination, that name was a keeper. I assume the charts were not something the magazine dreamed up, but instead represented some charts that have been used traditionally.
I may have the details wrong, but it is close enough to the actual process we used.

Number of strokes: important
Meaning of characters: Not as important, as long as it is not bad
by DanH2009 rate this post as useful

Re: What does the name Sayumi mean? 2018/11/6 09:34
My daughter (Born in Japan) is already 12 years old now.
Her name is written in Katakana (No kanji) and my wife still wanted to consider the meaning of her name as well.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread