Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Long Term Visa Requirements and Alternatives 2018/11/5 11:52
Greetings,

We (Wife and I) will be applying for our Long Term Residence Visa soon and we should qualify under Japanese Heritage. We are moving from the US as we are both retired (54 years old) and can't afford health insurance. Anyways, one of the places we are interested in is Kamakura as we like the ocean.

We were thinking about getting low level jobs at Yokosuka Naval base to pass the time. However to apply directly will apparently require us to surrender our Long Term Residence Visa to obtain SOFA status. However, if we apply with the Japanese Labor Management Office (LMO), we can keep our Visa. Their website really is useless.

1) Does anyone have an email address or a location of the LMO office that services Yokosuka?

2) So it just occurs to me, can you stay on SOFA status indefinitely while working? Yeah I know most of the jobs are relatively low paying and it isn't a career but it may be a alternative to teaching English as an ALT for some US citizens. And it may be an alternative to us as we may return to the US one day when our Medicare kicks in.

by NV George  

reply to this thread