Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Residence card for tourist 2018/11/8 19:05
Hello,
I have questions about the "Residence card".

There are many sharehouses / guesthouses in Japan, many of them rent you rooms not only for long periods but also for short ones ( one or two months ).

Usually the policy of those gesthouses to accept guests is they have to provide Passport, Visa, and Residence card.

In the "Entering Japan" section of this website it is stated that :
' All foreigners receive a status of residence when entering Japan. There are more than twenty statuses of residence, including "temporary visitor" for tourists '.

But on other websites I can also read that:
'A Resident Card is not issued to those with a tourist visa or any other type of visa that is valid for 3 months or less'.

So does this mean that with a tourist visa is not possible to get a residence card, or there is a way to get it?

If not, it is not possible for tourist to book those rooms/apartments which require residence card from their guests, isnt it ?
by pastis  

Re: Residence card for tourist 2018/11/9 10:31
No residence card for temp visitors eg tourists.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Residence card for tourist 2018/11/9 10:49
When I used to live in Japan I used to have an ARC (Alien Residence Card) which was used as ID instead of a passport. It also made it easier for me to get more permanent accommodation than tourists - but that is kind of expected.

I'm not aware of a Residence Card for tourists - note that I've also visited Japan many times as a tourist but have not tried to stay in one location for an extended period of time.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Residence card for tourist 2018/11/9 11:33
There is no residence card for visitors.
Depending on your country you can stay up to max 90 days.

If you want to stay in Japan for full 90 days is up to you.
If you want to stay in a guest house you need to contact and ask for possibilities.

There are enough visitors who are staying at weekly mansions etc.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Residence card for tourist 2018/11/10 06:00
Which sharehouse company? I can think of three major ones managing properties in Tokyo and can tell you from experience that none of them require a residency card and all of them accept foreign tourists.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Residence card for tourist 2018/11/11 08:54
The comment from @LIZ is correct - some of the major companies do not require you to be resident, temporary visitors/tourist can do a contract for one or more months. The advantage of those companies is that you can get somewhere to live for a few months (inclusive of utilities) without the up-front costs or hassles for regular apartments.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread