Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/12 00:20
Hello everyone

I intend to stay a little in Tokyo (2-3 weeks) soon. From a previous visit to Japan and its capital, I know that the best solution for transport in the capital is to buy either Suica or daily /multi-days pass tickets for the metro. But what if I want to go outside the metropolitan zone ?. I have a specific example:

I am going from the center to Kurihama (Yokosuka prefecture). The metropolitan area ends after Kanazawa, so if I read the map correctly, the range Suica / Pasmo also ends. How can I buy a ticket for this furhter route in that case ?:
1. Buy at the station simply Tokyo-Kurihama (without using Suica) in cash?
2. Use Suica until the end of the zone and then (HOW ???) to buy a ticket for the rest of the trip? (do I have to get off and buy or can I buy on the train / at the final station at the gates?). How Suica would calculate my price? Won't overcharge me?
3. Look for a day ticket for Keikyo (but it probably will not cover the metro with the center?)?

The same applies to another example:
from Hama-Kanaya (Chiba prefecture, city of Futtsu) to the center of Tokyo. First the Uchibo line, then the Sobu Main line and only from the Kinschicho is the metro + from what I see on the map, the metropolitan zone breaks off at times.

I check Hyperdia and I see prices and connections but it doesn't give me a full answer.

Any help much appreciated
by queenman (guest)  

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/12 09:45
I have no idea which map you are looking at nor what you mean by "metropolitan zone". Both Kurihama and Hamakanaya are inside the Suica validity area.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/12 10:55
Suica can be used everywhere with the public transport since it is an IC card.

I have Toica and Suica and use both everywhere with out any problem
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/12 11:12
Suica can be used everywhere with the public transport since it is an IC card.

That is not true. Try using it in Aomori, for example...

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/12 12:07
Suica cannot be used everywhere and there are large parts of the rail network where it doesn't work. However, around Tokyo, you can go a long long way before you find somewhere it will not work.

A useful map for coverage is at (as an example) http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/routemaps/pdf/RouteMap_majorrailsub.pdf

Certainly your destinations are in the coverage area.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/12 14:09
I recently experienced a no-Suica episode, but the station attendants see this all the time and they know how to deal with it.
It went like this: I was staying in Atami and used Suica to reach Mishima. I entered Atami station with Suica without any issue, but when I tried to exit Mishima station the turnstyle would not open and flashed the message "please see the attendant". I was not alone in this situation, there were several others with the same predicament. The attendant scanned my Suica card and deducted 320 yen from it, the fare between Atami and Mishima, and allowed me to exit.
by edokko101 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/12 16:38
Suica can also be used in Aomori :)

Only at Shinkansen ticket gates (by Mobile Suica and Apple Watch)
and convenience stores, drink vending machines etc, though.
by T9029 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/12 16:50
Thank you for all answers
Can I just confirm that i think correctly, if not please fix it ;)

Does the metropolitan area covers the all blue area or just dark blue the closest the center from the map below? Asking all my questions from the first post I was thinking it covers dark blue but if covers wider area that makes completely sense now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Tokyo_Area#/media/File:Tokyo-Kan...

All the Best
by queenman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/12 16:54
ok, I know everything, found the needed stations on that map provided earlier... not easy :)

All the Best
by queenman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/12 17:07
As the caption of the image indicates, this map represents the Urban Employment Area; it has absolutely nothing to do with the Suica.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Employment_Area

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/13 09:34
I have also used Suica from west Tokyo to Mishima - it was around 2200 yen and the station attendant deducted the fare as the gates did not want to deduct it directly from my card. Possibly due to the four different trains I took and the multitude of possible routes.

Interesting/weird map in the provided wiki link - certainly the rail and SUICA/PASMO usage extends further.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Suica with connections outside metrop. area 2018/11/13 10:42
Mishima is outside the Suica area (it is in the Toica area).

reply to this thread